• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What age to spay?

Inimical Me

Wise Old Thumper
I've heard you can spay from as early as 4 months, but some say 6. I'm going to phone the vet about booking Daisy to be spayed so I can get her a friend as soon as possible(she seems so lonely).

At what age have people here spayed their girlie buns?

Normally at 6 months. If unintended mating occurs or if severe 'hormonal' behaviour develops(aggression/pseudopregnancy) some vets will spay a bun before 6 months if the bun weighs about 1kg or more. Jane and Buns xx

Thanks :). She was a pet shop bun (shame on me, I know :( ) and I got her at the end of October. I can only presume she was approx. 8 weeks old, which means she was born sometime at the beginning of September, making her about 4 and a half months old. I'll contact the vets and see if they can spay her in a couple of months, maybe beginning of March.

6 mth. is the max. cut off, but it shouldn't be too soon as a surgery is painful to a rabbit. If it is done too soon, a young rabbit may not be able to handle the stress.

The best time is 5.5 mth., which is the time zone I scheduled the spay w/ my current rabbit. She was born in June, and the surgery was performed on Dec. 5.

Some say it's better to spay older, e.g. up to 9 months, to allow the uterus to fully develop. But the longer you leave it, the more fatty buildup in the bun, which makes the op a bit more difficult.
My Nina was spayed last Thursday, her age is around 9 months - due to me being ill and a lot of work commitments before Christmas, I didn't want to get her spayed until I knew I could dedicate a lot of care to her incase something went wrong (same reason I always try to plan dentals, and other surgeries etc. the day before I have a day/weekend off). But she was fine and hasn't had any problems at all, she was home the same day and eating and drinking fine.
She never had any hormonal aggression or anything though, and being a French lop cross I knew she had a bit more growing to do than 'average' buns, especially as she didn't have a great start to life (was a very fussy eater and had quite a few upset tummy problems before I took her on!)

Thanks so much for the advice everyone :).

So, the answer either is...It's a huge huge huge dilemma, or it doesn't really matter :lol: ? I suppose it's down to the individual rabbit and what the vet is willing to do and thinks is safe?

On the one hand, she's 4.5 months old and I'd like to get it over and done with and settled, she's a bit of a timid, skittish rabbit who is easily unsettled. It stresses her (and me) out when I just get her settled and then we're...unsettled again. Sometimes I have to go to my parents' house (2 and a half hours away), and it takes a while for her to want to know me again (Fidget couldn't care less. Daisy is much more of a stress-head). I'd hate to earn her trust for the next couple of months(again), only to have it ruined when I have to take her to the vet to have nasties done to her! On the other hand, I'm willing to take no risks with her health if spaying her too young isn't in her best interests. Argh *bangs head against wall*. I think I'll take her for her vaccinations first, see how she reacts, have a good chat with the vet and see what happens (from what I hear they're an accomodating, rabbit savvy bunch). And hopefully in the meantime the rescue that I'm after a rescue boy from will pair with an unspayed girlie.

Sorry for the rambling stress :) :? .

My Bun is a 1 1/2 years old and i plan to get her done in the summer and she will be 2 years old. Hope there will be no complications :?

Back