• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training

jacquie

New Kit
Hello,

my three buns live in the kitchen, and are free range. They don't really like the lino, and so I put a section of carpet down for them to sit on. The litter trays are in a dog cage right beside them, but for some reason 50% of the time they are not using the litter trays just the carpet. This has only started being a problem in the last few months ( been in the house for 8 months) , and I haven't done anything to change the routine (same litter, disinfectant etc). I have tried putting a plastic cover over the carpet but that was just as popular as the carpet. I have also cut the carpet in half to try and limit the area, but they just seem to move with it. Does anybody have any ideas as I am tired of going home every night and sweeping up bunny droppings :lol:

Many Thanks!

How weird! That's exactly the same with my bunnies!
They were fine for about four or five months and then the last couple, they have started doing all their poos round the tray :lol: They always wee in the tray (thank goodness) but each night when I get in the first thing I have to do is sweep up lots of poos!
I haven't changed their routine either, they suddenly just seem to have decided that they prefer the carpet :shock:

well if they do their wees in the trays be thankful - Tia does both on my carpet :roll:

I find that a day locked in her crate reminds her of where to do the toilet stuff - But if you have more than one bunny they will probably leave poops around just as a territory thing to compete with the others - which is what my outside bunnies do - And I'm heartily sick of sweeping and washing the patio down every time Benny's been out near the girls shed, but such is the way of bunnies :?

Mine do it anywhere. They poo all over the floor. One was litter trained in her cage but now she does it all over just to spite me, I'm sure :lol: . How odd that a lot of people are having the same problem at the same time.

Sadly it isn't just the poos, Its everything, the carpet keeps getting soggy so i keep having to trimming it! When i just had the two they did everything in the box, and to start with Muppet went along with that, but then he started spreading and the other two have just followed. I think the next step is move the carpet completly, which i know they will hate as they can't stand lino, but it is all i can think of :? Or maybe new carpet?

I have the same problem! Iris was mostly litter trained, she only went right outside every once in awhile but when we got Bonsley, she decided to stop using it all together. I figure she was jelous and wanted attention. We got Bonsley trained and it was going well and now both have decided to pick different corners and will use their potty trays some of the time. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem but does anyone have any ideas on how to retrain a bunny or bunnies that are stubborn?

My very hairy bunny Star has a litter tray with vet bed in it because she is too hairy for other types of litter. She wees in it but poos EVERYWHERE on the lino. I suggest you get bits of washable bathroom carpet and you can put it in the machine.

Back