• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cheap Timothy Hay?

I think quite a few people on here order from West Wales Willows, and if its local to you then that's excellent because its often the postage that whacks up the prices. Its also cheaper the more 'in bulk' you buy.

I don't have the room to store that much as I've only got one bun. I've ordered from both bunnybasics and oxbow (from BunnyBazaar) and it generally works out about £4-£5 per kg, so I'd say that about £3 per kg was a reasonably good deal. Timothy Hay is generally not cheap :(

oooh you lucky thing being local to my supplier! I buy 4 maxi boxes a month :shock: It works out no dearer than bagged meadow hay from pet shops then, but that's a LOT dearer than buying a bale of meadow hay for £5, which is what people blessed with cars do.

The man at west Willows is so interesting and kind too. He knows so much about hay and stuff, I think they are super. Jacob won't eat hay but he'll eat a bot of the West Willows, not tonees but some and that'll do me, he won't eat any other kind, and it smells gorgeous!

Looks a beautiful part of the world, you lucky thing!

elve said:
oooh you lucky thing being local to my supplier! I buy 4 maxi boxes a month :shock: It works out no dearer than bagged meadow hay from pet shops then, but that's a LOT dearer than buying a bale of meadow hay for £5, which is what people blessed with cars do.

Some farmers (if they have it) will deliver it for free :D

The WWW Timothy hay isn't pure timothy hay though - it's 'timothy rich' hay meaning it's mixed with other hays too ("Meadow Fescue grass and
White Clove" according to the site)
The Bunnybasics hay is imported (from Canada I believe) so this will raise the cost, but also raise the quality as UK weather isn't as good for growing timothy hay

Oxbow is also another good Timothy Hay, imported from the States. I find it is softer if you buy it in smaller bags (maybe because it's not squished as tightly?) but also far more expensive if you do it that way :lol: You can buy oxbow from the rabbit welfare association shop, bunny bazaar, hop-and-hutch, sph supplies, and vetbed.co.uk to name but a few :D (prices vary enormously on size, if you can get 50lbs it is only about £10 more expensive than half as much!)

The WWW one is Timothy rich rather than pure Timothy, but it's probably still a fair percentage so if your bunnies like it and it's easy to get hold of, I wouldn't worry too much about it not being pure Timothy. Might be worth getting a small bag of a couple of other types just to give them a go, though :D

I got some of the bunny basics Timothy hay. Jacob won't go near it and although it smells scrummy it is very wide and course, a bit like straw, not wispy like hay. It is quite rough too, very straw like whereas the WWW timothy rich is very wispy as you imagine hay. My next try is the Oxbow..I will try it all in case Jacob finds one he will eat loads of!

Oxbow is quite coarse and straw-like too (it's also a lot greener than the bunnybasics), I have a feeling that one of the reasons Timothy hay is so good for bunnies is because it is so coarse, and that is what encourages them to chew it in a way that grinds down their teeth :D Give the Oxbow a go but if he won't touch that either, there's certainly no harm in sticking with what he will eat!

Thanks, I am sort of programmed now to buy any new hay i see! i will keep the WWW as he does like that a bit, maybe he just doesn't like hay, he is a bit of a mad bunny hates carrots too. This thinking he's a cat has gone too far!!

:lol: poor little Jacob, having an identity crisis! Does he like grass? You could try planting up a grass tray which you could offer him to graze on, that is also very good for wearing down his teeth.

We get it fresh from the fields (ish), 26 bales at a time, £3.50 a huge bale and we sell it on to other bun owners. We round it up to £5 a bale to cover fuel costs cos it's a long drive away from us. Superb quality and can look different depending on the cut (1st or 2nd)

Alison A is right it is all due to the courseness of the hay. The courser the hay the higher the Fibre content, the better it is at keeping the teeth in check.

If you actually see the Oxbow before its chopped and crimped it is very much like our brand.

The purpose of the survey is to market research the options open to us as we are currently workign with our importer to get hay very close to the Oxbow and have them petpacked in the UK under our own brand. The Prices will be much lower than the oxbow though. So the more info we have the better we can give you the products you want at he price you want.

All this is going to take time though as we have to have a packageing machine built and installed so more info to follow in due course.

Back