• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sawdust

tomjacob

Banned
Just a quickie, can I put sawdust in a digging box? Also can I just tear newspaper into thin strips will that do as can't shred them? Really keen on this idea and want to make one today, just checking contents, and compost from garden center, the clean stuff in bags is that Ok instead of gardn soil? Less germs surely too? Sorry to keep asking!

Paper's fine, I'm not sure on Wood Shaving because my lot like to bury right in and get it all over their heads.

I use compost from the garden centre 'cos once they've finished pooing in it :roll: I can just throw it on the garden

Compost for a digging box. Tamsin mentioned it on another post. apparently you can use a litter tray or a box and put in either shredded paper, compost or hay and they can dig to hearts content. Clearly can make a mess but my carpets have been killed by Jacob bunny already so thought as he has one with hay and not overly keen I would try this and he might dig then. I am still uncertain about why sawdust isn't suggested as they sell it to put in hutches? Is it dangerous please? Just like to learn, thanks.

Thanks, seems to be only cedar or pine though, what are Wilko ones made from? I will ring and see, they do say other woodshavings are Ok if I've read it right. Thanks so much, I would never have thought wood shavings were so dodgy!

actual sawdust might get stuck in their eyes, but woodshavings would probably be fine mixed with compost in a box - would bulk it out a bit - Phenols are only going to harm them if they live permanently on shavings.

Mine make their own digging box out of their litter trays :roll:

RIMG0447.jpg

This is what I did for my buns.. just a box with a loads of shredded paper in. It would work just as well with torn up paper or scrunched up paper.

Thanks everyone. i found a big box a TV cam in and cut a side down a bit and filled with hay. It serves another purpose too, It entirely fiils the gaps by the plug sockets and PC leads etc. I had various bits blocking but this does and as full height of box and back and side can't get out that way! Jacob has been in and nibbled and intend to do a compost one too. Great ideas on here, thanks.

Back