• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent Request!

FurryFriends

Warren Scout
Animal Lifeline have just had 35 guinea pigs handed into them by the RSPCA from a family who had overbred them to the point that they could not cope.

They are all looking for loving homes. The males will be neutered before they leave the rescue.
The females are going to have to stay at the rescue as all were housed together and will probably be pregnant. However, they are taking up valuable space and guinea pigs from other cases are there and ready for homing.

They range in age from youngsters to fully grown adults.

If anyone can offer these needy piggies a home for life then please contact Christine Redwood on 020 8274 0034/0781 605 0567 (Sutton, Surrey).

smokiemisty said:
I would take two, as long as they were neutered and someone could get them to me in Norfolk.

can you drive i couldnt get them as far as norfolk but could go collect and get them some way up the m11!

Christine rang me this morning and ARC have offered to take 8 of these, I am collecting them from her tomorrow evening. Unfortuntely I have no more spare space at the moment.

Janice

jrn1310 said:
Christine rang me this morning and ARC have offered to take 8 of these, I am collecting them from her tomorrow evening. Unfortuntely I have no more spare space at the moment.

Janice

isnt jacky taking some too!?

I could take a few girlies, doesn't matter if they turn out to be 'with piglet'.And would a baby boar get on OK with my OAGP Jimmy (not neutered)?If so I could take a baby boar too. Jane and Bunsxx

Jane said
I could take a few girlies, doesn't matter if they turn out to be 'with piglet'. And would a baby boar get on OK with my OAGP Jimmy (not neutered)?

A baby boar is your only option really for pairing up Jimmy with someone so that would be an option, the younger the boar the better, it is far easeir with a 3 - 5 week old boy, much older than that and you may have problems. If you end up with a pair of boys, you may find having a group of girls will upset the boy pair.

When I do anything to my piggies I always do the boys first, the boy groups live one side of the shed and the girls the other. If I clean them out or handle them the boys are done first and then the mixed groups and then the girls, then all equipment is soaked in milton to get rid of the girl smells. The problem is that some male pig groups are easily upset by the smell of females and will start fighting ... others are not bothered by them.

Janice [/code]

Yes I always wipe my 'animal handling fleece' (ie: the one covered in fur!) with a scented baby wipe in between guinea pigs, especially when handling the boy pairs, and as the run is in the 'girls room' I light a scented candle when the boy pairs are in there too.

I bonded one of my older boys with his baby son though, and now the son is grown up he's bullying his poor old dad, so that's something to consider as well.

Also, I rescued 2 pregnant females (just the 2!) and that gave me 9 piggies in total after they'd given birth - mostly boys, who had to be found housing in pairs, away from the girls - and even the girls didn't get on with their mum - total 6 large cages/hutches needed, cost £350 - and they eat a ton of hay!

Wish I could help, sadly I can't :(

Just spoken to Christine at Animal Lifeline, these piggies have arrived. By the sounds of it they are all Himalayan piggies.

Jane - do you want me to pick up a little boy for you if there are some really young ones available.

Janice

Jane - we have some spare indoor cages. If you have a separate room (away from your boys, if you get a new one) could you foster some for us?

I would be happy to foster some, if it would help, until a rescue or new homes could be found. I would be able to pick them up and could poss deliver some elsewhere if they needed to be transported somewhere.

donna-arc said:
Jane - we have some spare indoor cages. If you have a separate room (away from your boys, if you get a new one) could you foster some for us?
Yes I can foster some girlies. I think I had better not have a boar aswell incase there are problems with pairing him with Jimmy. Do you want me to collect them from ARC or from Christine?? The loan of a cage would be useful. Will PM you my phone number. Jane and Buns xx

I have just returned from Christine. Due to many of these piggies being small and the way we have grouped them ARC and Bobtails have managed to assist Animal Lifeline to accomodate ALL these piggies with out any problems.

I have brought home a total of 18 with me, some from this group which will need to stay with me for a number of weeks, others were one's Christine already had looking for homes. Fortuntely I have a number already booked to go out this week which means that those who will have to be accomodated indoors for the next few days will then manage to fit within the piggie shed before the weekend.

Thanks for the offer of fosters, I think we should be ok if everyone collects their piggies as planned. I will shout if I need help.

Janice

Back