• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sorry another 3 questions....

Mizzmarni

Young Bun
Hey guys,

Im in love with my new bunny, he has such a personality! my last bun just sat in her litter tray and did not much but my new bun is an nosy bun.. I LOVE HIM!

Anyway just a few questions.....

1. what is the best way to bond with my bunny?? we already are i know but im inpatient and want him to love me as much as i love him!!

2. also, what is the best way to litter train my bun, i have read a few articles and books but i wondered if you knowledgable people could give me a few hints and tips..

3. How much should i expect a little 8 week onld mini lop to eat.. I ahve had him 3 days and already i ahve had to fill his bowl up 4 times.. i only put about 2/3 handfuls in each time??????

Thanks guys.. love you lots

Mizzmarni
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Best way to bond with a new bunny i think is to sit on the floor and sit quiet, watching tv or reading a magazine... allow him to come and sniff you and investigate you without being touched or picked up. Also talk to him, stroke him if he allows it, hand feed him treats so that he knows you are a good thing. Spend lots of time with him so that he gets used to you, gets used to being handled etc.
As for the litter training.. that may take a while yet. Is he free range? If he is and is doing his business everywhere you might want to cage him for a while or put him in a confined area with a litter tray in it until he realises this is where he does his toiletting. If he poops or wees somewhere else mop it up or sweep up and put it in his tray. Put him back in his tray so that he can smell it. Try putting hay on or next to the tray. I also put the water bottle next to the litter tray so that they sit in the litter tray for drinking which helped a little.
Good luck!

Question 1:
Sitting down on the floor and let him investigate you when he feels like it. Then build your way up to hugs and cuddles.

Question 2:
Litter training, I found with Hermione that putting some hay in her litter tray encouraged her to poop will she was eating the hay. Also I had a pet carrier I used as a litter tray to get her used to doing it. If you've got enough room try to have 3 around, so they can choose their favourite corner.

Question 3:
I feed Hermione twice a day. She has a small amount in the morning and then again in the evening. If she's hungry during the day she has a huge tray full of hay to nibble on.

Hope that helps

Back