• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jacks nose! (again) And Delilhas eyes - UPDATE 17th Jan

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Ah well! Jacks nose has gone pussy again, im taking him to see hazel tonight and i think we will need to pack it again but goodness knows what with. The iodine packing worked last time but there was obviously a pocket of infection left which has flared up again. So my poor wee guy's back to looking like rudolf!

And I think Delilha's going/gone Blind in her left eye. I took some piccies on Saturday and normally with the flash the buns eyes go red but Delilha's went a kind of opaky blue colour! :shock: she also keeps running away from me until she realises who it is an then she will have a cuddle. So she's off to see Hazel as well tonight to have it checked out.

Ah well Busy busy busy!

Hope it goes OK for both of them. I know how stressful it is to have a reoccuring infection like Jack's nose - one of my rats had an abcess that just didn't want to clear up, it spread down her back and I felt so bad as I had to keep picking the scab off it. But despite the vet's doubts, she made a full recovery from it.
I've got a fun vet visit today too, 4 buns and 2 rats, not quite sure how I'm going to carry them all in there :lol:

Thanks Karly, Gosh how many hands do you have!!!! :lol: I hope all yours are alright as well

Noses are tricky. I have a guinea who had an abcess on his nose from a fight. It seemed to clear up, but now he is snorting pus out of it again :mrgreen: It must be right up inside as there is nothing I can feel anymore :? Back to the baytril hohum :roll:

I think these Bunsters are getting together and researching various ailments on t'internet so they can then test us Bunny Mummies and bankrupt us aswell!! :roll: :roll: Hope your two get on OK Phill!! Jane and Buns xx

What can I say except Demics R Us :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope they are both ok, give them cuddles from me.

Ok i never got to the vets last night the evening was rather hectic but i phoned Hazel about Jack as i knew she didn't really need to see him until this morning. I rang and said his abcess is back and he has gone in this morning to have it flushed and packed again. There was no piont in trying baytril as it didn't do a thing last time so were going with what works. Im collecting him tonight at 5.30 ish and i will take delilha then as well!

Did Hazel mention Penicillin injections aswell as the packing? :? Just wondered if the combination of the two might 'zap' the hard to get at bugs in the wound cavity? :? Hope Jacks nose heals up again soon. Jane and Bunsxx

She hasn't, she's not one for using other things except baytril but i will suggest it to her this evening. I think tha may work Jane, the iodine packing did wonders last time but it just missed a small amount.

Back