• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help

hunnybun

Mama Doe
I have a rabbit with an open operation site!! he took his stitches out, so vet replaced them with staples this afternoon, now he has taken them out too!! I have tried dressing the wound, and all sorts of other measures but nothing will stay on. I am a bit worried now!! any suggestions :?

ps, have called the vet but no one is home.

I really havent got any experience with this but I would think you should call the emergency vet - I thought all vets had emergency cover? Hope your bun is ok hunnybunxx

Where is the wound?? Is it an opened spay? If so you really must get your Bun back to the Vets TONIGHT. If you post a few more details perhaps I could try to be of more help. Jane and Buns xx

Get her to the vets then if its a body wound you can use one of those elasticated leg or wrist bandages to cover her whole body. val

Thanks everyone, vet has decided to leave the wound open as he keeps taking stitches out anyway! it was a wound for exploratory reasons, he only had one testicle and the vet had opened him up to try to find it in the abdomen. Which she didn't. He seems fine this morning, he has had a antibiotic injection and I have to give him one daily now until Thursday when I will see the vet again.

Here's hoping he doesn't get an infection in it :?

Think you best get him back to the vets again pretty quick.
Ask them if they can do intradermal stitches instead. These are sewn inside the wound so there is nothing to chew on :wink: I hope he does you a nice big pile of poops soon. Is he still eating?

Diddeen said:
Think you best get him back to the vets again pretty quick.
Ask them if they can do intradermal stitches instead. These are sewn inside the wound so there is nothing to chew on :wink: I hope he does you a nice big pile of poops soon. Is he still eating?

Yes he is eating :) so that is something I suppose! vet opens at 5pm and I child mind for a vet nurse and she will be here soon, so I will ask her :?

Back