• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can runny eyes just be due to stress? UPDATE baytril dosage?

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
I'll be taking my rabbit Rosie to the vets tomorrow night because I've noticed shes been sneezing and has some yellowy discharge around her nose. When I get there I know Rosie's eyes or one of her eyes will start to water, or get this white discharge coming out. It always happens when shes stressed, like during vet visits, when I let my young cousin take her around the garden on the lead once, when a cat has visited the garden and when she was being introduced to one of her cage mates. She has had fucithalmic eye drops a couple of times when her runny eyes haven't cleared up themselves, usually she only has a runny eye for a day but when I was doing intros with her and another rabbit she had runny eyes for a week in which time she went to the vets for eye drops and it stopped.

I know runny eyes can be a symptom of illness or a blocked tear duct but can I be right, can she just be getting her runny eye/s due to stress? Shes a highly-strung PEW Polish who is boss of my other two bunnies who are two and three times bigger than herself!

It is unlikely that you Buns runny eye is caused by stress as such. But as she appears to have a respiratory tract infection the bacteria causing this (Pasteurella) is likely to cause conjunctivitis too. If she has had repeated episodes of conjunctivitis the tissue within the nasolacrimal ducts (tear ducts) may have become thickened or blocked. Another possible cause could be dental problems. You might want to ask your Vet about getting your Buns teeth checked. I assume you are aware that her respiratory tract infection will be infectious to your other buns. They may not become unwell, but I would keep a close eye on all of them. Jane and Buns xx

Stress can make conditions worse, but there must also be bacteria there to cause it. So she will need treatment for it.

Rosie was given 2.5% Baytril to put in her water (1ml in 250ml water). I've had quite a lot of experience with this drug with rats and rabbits and have found that Baytril tends to be useless when its given in water. I searched the forum and found

Dose is 0.4ml per kg daily given orally
and
My vet said the dose is 0.2ml per kg Twice a day.

I've searched the Internet and found this on baytril.com
http://www.baytril.com/index.php/fu...Offset/10/elwinAlt/Dosing Recommendations.htm
which states it should be administered every 12 hours.

And I've also found this site
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html
but I can't work out how the calculator works :?

Also, I've had my rats on the same concentration of Baytril and given them 0.2ml twice a day, but they weigh around 400g, my rabbit Rosie weighs 1.3kg :? so surely she should have 0.4ml twice a day?

Can anyone help? Do I go for 0.4ml twice daily? I don't have much faith in my vet!

Ah yes thats what I needed, the 25mg/ml part! Thanks very much :D I've had my maths teacher of a mother work out the dose for me :lol:

Back