• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP-NEW BUNNY HAS POO PROBLEM-UPDATED HELP

Mizzmarni

Young Bun
Hey guys,

Sorry that my 1st post is not a jolly one and i promise ill get some piccys soon..

Anyway, my new little bunny has dirrorea (sorry cant spell that), the pet shop gave me some stuff that looks like white power (i was hoping the police did not stop me) to put in his water.. anyway his cage came with a water bottle that is broken so it leaks, so i ahve not been giving him the stuff..

Anyway i got him on Friday (8weeks old) and it's sunday and now he has dreadful dirrorea, he has not stopped eating also!! What is the white stuff??? i think i will give it to him actually... how can i stop him having it.. i feel so sorry for him, he is all little and gorgeous!!

Anyway please reply soon im worried...

Love you all

Mizzmarni
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The white stuf is probiotic (I hope!) and will help to sort out the tummy.
What sort of food is he eating? I'm not sure about baby bunnies, but I don't think they should have a lot of veg/fruit. Does he eat a lot of hay?

Hello! Hope your little bunny gets better soon. When you say diarrhoea, what exactly do you mean? I know it requires a bit of graphic detail but actually it's necessary to know. Is it really properly runny poo, or is it a bit gooey and sticky, a bit like chocolate that's been sat out in the sun, or is it like little bunches of gooey grapes stuck together?

What has your little one been eating? Also if his bottle is broken, where is he getting his water from, have you put him a bowl in? It's really important that they always have access to water, especially if he has runny poos as this will dehydrate him very quickly.

I might be wrong but I thought it was illegal for a petshop to sell an animal that it knows is sick?

Hope your little bunny feels better soon, but if you could describe exactly how his poos are looking, that will help us to tell you what is best to do for him.

If you are feeding him a lot of fruit and vedge stop!! baby buns cant handle it! I would just feed him on hay until the diorrea has stopped, then feed him on pelets pref the ones he was fed on at the shop, then when he is older slowly introduce him to vege :)

Thanks guys,

Ok, Ill try and answer the question 1 by one.

*he has access to a bowl of water.. i have given him back his bittle with white stuff in it which hopefully should help.

*I have not been giving fruit or veg as i know it is bad for them when they are so little, also been feeding him the food from the pet shop

(save the weirdes for last LOL *his poops are like chocolate which has been sat on, very sticky.. i hope that describes it..

He was not sick until now.. im afraid it was me.. I was suprised how much he eats, i think he is a little bony (although he has a bit of a tunny) i think he was in a cage with a little fatty who ate most of the food!

HELP

Mizzmarni
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hiya. Is this your first Bunny?? I am wondering if what you describe as diarrhoea is actually the normal soft poops a bun produces during a certain phase of digestion. They should eat these poops so are not often seen. If your bun has been eating too much dried feed and not enough hay he will not eat all his soft poops. Then he will sit, stand in them and they may then resemble the 'squashed chocolate' you describe. True diarrhoea is unformed and sloppy,sometimes with a sort of clear jelly like substance in it.(SORRY, A BIT GROSSE!!) However, I am concerned that your Bun has stopped eating. This is potentially VERY serious, particularly with such a baby bun. If from what I have described you do still think your Bun has diarrhoea and is not eating I am affraid you need to get your Bun Veterinary Care TODAY. Rabbits can become very sick very quickly. Please let us know how you get on. Jane and Buns xx

well the white powder could be mixed with the water in his bowl - it doesn't need to go in a bottle - it's basically like avipro for humans with 'friendly bacteria' in it - if we are guessing right that is!

The poops are not diarrhea - they are the eating poops that he needs to eat, so don't panic! If he's not managing to eat them it's probably because he's being startled a lot being in a new place, and forgets to eat them, and also if they have a lot more food than they are used to it makes them produce too many poops to eat them all.

Just carry on like you are doing and he'll probably settle down next week.

(pssst Jane, she's concerned that he's NOT stopped eating, not that he has stopped eating, if you see what I mean :wink: )

forgot to say, you can use cooking cornflour from the supermarket, to clean off the poops - don't bathe him as he'll take too long to dry out and get chilled. Massage the cornflour into the lumps stuck on his fur and they should slide off so you can brush out the rest...Wish it was that easy to get it off carpet :roll:

Or you could try baby wipes or a damp cloth.

Thanks guys,

The thing is, he is not my first bun but my 1st house bun so i probibly notice every little thing that he does..

The liike like the poops he eats so i think he should be ok..

My last question is.. should i take away his food and just leave him with hay?

Thanks all you have made me feel so much better, he is so little and gorgeous i cant help but freak out!!

Love you all

Mizzmarni
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The dangerous diarhea is when it is totally liquid or when it is like jelly. Can you see round normal poo too? If so then he is alright and just needs his bum cleaned, and maybe a change of feed type. What food are you feeding him? Some types make rabbits produce too many caecotrophs - the soft poo. A change can be upsetting to digestion though so you have to do it gradually. Pelleted food is best, but Excel tends to be too rich and causes the problem he already has. Science Selective is very good and is usually fairly easy to get hold of. A&P natural rabbit pellets are great but you may have trouble obtaining it.
Don't take his food away, babies need acess to as much food as they want.

yes pelleted food is better long term, but don't rush to change now, as he's only 8wks old - best to keep him on the same food for a month while he settles in maybe :)

AlisonA said:
(pssst Jane, she's concerned that he's NOT stopped eating, not that he has stopped eating, if you see what I mean :wink: )
Ooops: Must read posts more carefully * slaps back of head*...... :roll: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

Back