• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Foxes Help!!!!!

Can any one advise me on Foxes!!Iv been up since 3am!!!Im a light sleeper and my bedroom is above the garden.I heard the rabbits thumping,so opened the window and shone out my torch!
There were 4 foxes in the garden edging there way towards my rabbits hutches!! :shock: :shock: I shouted at them but they didnt go and I clapped my hands!!!
I ran down the stairs and they went into next doors garden,and started fighting,then the other fox went in the other sides garden and behind the fence which is close to the hutches and the rabbits started thumping again :twisted: they hung around for a bout a hour and half I threw a bucket of water at them!Im so tired now couldnt sleep ever single noise i was up!
Iv never noticed this happen before! :( Im worryed sick and need some advise.
Iv got a man coming on wednsday any way to fit me a floodlight out the back so i can see better its movement sensative,But cant see this will deter them but it will ensure i can see a bit better!!Help im at my wits end. :cry:

I haven't any advice on how to stop them coming, but just a word of warning, if the foxes know that the buns are there, they will come back... so do your best to secure your buns.. but bearing in mind foxes can usually get into wherever they like... so be extra careful! :( :(

You must be so worried... :cry: I couldn't imagine it, I'm afriad I couldn't have outdorr buns cus I would worry too much.

I'm sure someone will be along with some advice who has more experience with this. Just pllllllllllease be careful and do all you can to protect the buns (which Im sure you would anyway)

Thinking of you, you must be really worried xxxx

They sell chemicals to deter foxes and outdoor sensors that make a high pitched noise to get rid of them, although apparently they have to be pointed at where the foxes come in

Make sure the wire on your hutches is strong and that they have good locks like padlocks as foxes can open lots of different types of locks

I'm not too sure about securing hutches as mine are either inside or in a shed with a double door! Make sure your hutches have bolts on as foxes can easily open the slidey/ twisty latches.

Is there anyway you can bring them in for a while so the foxes think they've gone? Because they will keep coming now they know they are there!

I think there might have been a similar previous topic if you do a search too!

As Laura has already said , if the foxes know the buns are there they will come back :( Foxes are very determined and can break into most pens..ask any chicken owner...Are your hutches sturdy? Is the wire thick, strong and well attached? Have you added bolts to the hutches?
Apart from that if you can't move the buns into a shed, again well bolted, then get a dog..or borrow one and let it out whenever you see a fox...that will put them off...it's the only thing I know that works :( Not a very pleasant suggestion but you could get a friend with a dog to put some dog poo in your garden near the hutches..might put them off. I have 2 dogs who are not out at night but we don't get foxes in our garden even though they have been seen in the local area regularly, and the smell of bunnies must be quite strong from our garden with the number we have!
Some people have tried using lion poo! You can order it from Longleat I think :shock: Never tried it but someone I know said it did keep cats out of her garden.
I would try and move the hutches as close to the house as possible and keep making noise when you think a fox is present. I'm afraid the light won't help much, an urban fox will adjust to it pretty quickly. The electric noise sensors do work with most animals but you must keep checking the range and which direction the animals are coming from..also don't know if it would upset the buns. If it is set near them to protect them they could also set it off and the noise might affect them too! :(
The only option if you have a family of foxes is to buy a shed or summerhouse that is well built and well bolted...sorry and wishing you luck they stay away.

What a scary thing to have happened. Poor you! I know this is a silly question, but do foxes come out during the day or are they mainly noctural? I'm just thinking about over the summer, having my bunnies out in the run or hutch during the day and bringing them in at night. Not sure if that would be an option for you as well twilightpagan??
Nicola x

Iv just spoken to Emma and she surgested I bring the two bonded pair in at night in there cage,and put the other two in seperate pet carriers for the night because if the foxes keep coming back to empty cages they will start to loose interest so im off now to buy another carrier!!! :roll: :)

Sounds like a good plan. How very frightening for you and your little thumping bunnies!!! Mine are in at the moment in a dogcage that I got from Ebay (you may have seen the pic's in the chat section) and they were going to be going out into their hutch in the garden when it warms up, but now I'm not so sure. Our garden is well fenced, but I guess thats nothing to a fox. I think you're right to keep them in over night if you can. That would just be a total nightmare if the foxes keep coming back. Good luck with the carrier shopping!!!
Nicola x

Yes, sounds like you have a group of younguns checking out their territory!
Def do the dog poo in the garden, this def deters many, you can buy a spray called get off my garden which is generally used for cats but can work with foxes too and the floodlight being installed is a good idea too.This may sound barmy but if you have a outdoor extension lead you could tape you having a fairly loud conversation with someone else and leave it playing on an old cd player on loop in a waterproofed box, garage, shed so the foxes will think there are peeps in the garden.

I bought the carrier and the rabbits slept indoors last night,the foxes did come back in but then it took ages to get the cat in,so was another late night,to top it all my internets down and im in the libeary what a weekend iv had!!! :evil:

Those bloody fox's!!!

Just to echo what everyone else have said:

secure your hutch with bolts - get strong mesh. I am not actually sure if fox's can rip mesh from hutches??

get some dog poo and scatter around your garden

get a male to pee around the garden (sounds mad but apparently does work)

get some human hair from a hairdressers.

These are very cheap way to deter fox's

I liked Leanne's suggestion about having a tape of people talking!!!

are your bun's covered up at night? if not make sure you cover them up.

Good idea to bring them in - i would do that for about a week!

The thought of dogs poo around my garden is so unapealing!! :| Yuck,what a pain this hasnt happended before its a real bind!!I had to put all the rabbits back in there hutches this morning before i took the kids to school,its a nightmare so much to do so little time!!(Iv got 6 kids!!!)
4 rabbits 1 cat a hamster and 3 rats coming on saturday its a wonder im not grey yet lol,at least the animals cant answer back like the kids :lol:

what a nightmare - well dog wee would have the same effect and not as smelly, or the human hair thing??

do you cover the buns up at night??

Yeah i normally cover them with tarpaulin,but hay im just gona bring em in at night for a while,I can sleep better knowing they are safe,I was looking out the window all night :roll:

Heres where they are sleeping every night now.

100_0793.jpg

100_0792.jpg

Its a good idea to bring them in for their safety, would be good to rotate them so they have a night in the bigger cage - buns are really active at night.

Fox's may also come back during the day so make sure you hutch is well secure!

Bonnie

Back