• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Snug - any advice opinions on this hutch?

Hawarden

Warren Scout
Hi folks,
Our family is about to commit to adopting/rehoming a bonded pair and would like some advice/opinions of the hutch we're proposing to buy - no one else has one that we know! We're thinking of 'The Snug' - available from http://www.a15fabrications.co.uk/small.htm. We like the idea of being able to walk into the run and play/cuddle our rabbits wihout them escaping - something you can't do with conventional runs. What do you think?

Hi and welcome!

What a fabulous idea! Loads of space for your bunnies, and fantastic for interaction with them too! Full marks and a round of applause to you for choosing such wonderful bunny housing! :thumb:

AMETHYST

:shock: WOW! They look great... but flippin' pricey I think.

Loads of people on here have sheds for their buns which would probably work out cheaper.

I'm sure someone who has one will reply to you

I think it's an axcellent idea :)

You might want to consider a small shed and hiring a handy man/carpenter to build you a run though, it would probably work out a lot cheaper for roughly the same thing. You can get a 4'x5' shed for around the £100 mark and building a run probably wouldn't cost more than that much again. A shed also gives you a dry place to sit inside for cuddles :)

Tamsin said:
I think it's an axcellent idea :)

You might want to consider a small shed and hiring a handy man/carpenter to build you a run though, it would probably work out a lot cheaper for roughly the same thing. You can get a 4'x5' shed for around the £100 mark and building a run probably wouldn't cost more than that much again. A shed also gives you a dry place to sit inside for cuddles :)

and a dry place to be when your cleaning it in the rain! :wink:

That's the sort of bun house the O/H is building for my new buns. I cant believe how expensive they are, much cheaper to build yourself.

Hi folks - thanks for all your thumbs up and suggestions for cheaper alternatives - does anyone have a suggestion about the floor in the run? Should we cover it in a wire mess to stop the bunnies digging tunnels (we could always bury it a few inches down so the grass would still grow and there would be soil for the bunnies to scratch/dig around in. As the hutch can't be moved around like a normal run is grass the best option anyway?
Thanks again!

I would have a permanent run on concrete slabs - they will ruin grass to mud in no time, and you can't wash it down, so if it's a small area it will soon become a pile of poop! Ideally leave a very small gap at intervals around the wooden base of the run, by putting it on little chunks of wood or paver, so water can drain off. Being on concrete keeps their nails down too - I've haven't needed to cut my outdoor bunnies nails yet.

elve said:
I would have a permanent run on concrete slabs - they will ruin grass to mud in no time, and you can't wash it down, so if it's a small area it will soon become a pile of poop! Ideally leave a very small gap at intervals around the wooden base of the run, by putting it on little chunks of wood or paver, so water can drain off. Being on concrete keeps their nails down too - I've haven't needed to cut my outdoor bunnies nails yet.

I didn't think of that. Our 'bunny mansion' (as it has become known) was just going out onto grass, but we shall slab it now. Thought I had thought of everything..... Great advice!!!!!!!

What sort of size run are you thinking of? My bunnies have runs around 5*10 and most of it is grass. I have corrugated plastic over some of the top to stop it getting too soggy (thinking of swapping it for clear tarpaulin though so it's easier to roll back to allow a little moisture down and to allow the light and sun in more on nice days!) With a reasonable size area, I don't find that it turns to mud at all. I like having some grass down because it encourages them to graze which is good for their teeth :D I have put some large sized mesh underneath which I have attached to the sides using garden wire, and the grass has grown through so well that you wouldn't even know that the wire was there any more.

6da3f16e.jpg

It would be about 5 by 6 foot ish, but they will have the run of the garden alot of the time too, so grazing won't really be an issue. I shall speak to the other half and see what he says.
Thanks for the advice.

The snugs look lovely and some of them come with a wooden cover to protect them from the rain whcih is a great idea, although you can imporvise on this. You don't mention which height one you are looking at, the ones which are lower roofed may cause you to bend down a lot and get back ache. If money was no object they do look good and certainly your buns would love them, although as many people have said a shed with attatched run would work out cheaper.

Janice

We've worked out we can build a version of The Snug ourselves for probably around half the cost of buying it - any suggestions on insulation? Has anyone insulated there hutches/sheds with anything? We're starting work on building this weekend - so we might post some work-in-progress photos if anyone is interested? :lol:

Might be worth having a look on ebay. I've seen some big dog kennel/runs at good prices on there before :)

Whether you go for paving or grass, think about drainage. A very slight slope , only needs 1/2 inch, will stop you ending up with it flooded :)

Tam

Back