• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What could it be?

Angel

Young Bun
Hi everyone, I wonder if you could help me? Its my doe Sooty, she seems under the weather. Shes not her normal self and isn't eating very well (she is picking). The thing that stands out most is that she seems to be weeing and drinking more then normal. I am taking her to the vet monday but wondered if that might be too late? Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before and if so what was it? Her poos are slightly smaller then normal and a little paler. I am getting worried about her and possible dehydration. :(

Forgot to say she is still fairly active in her self, but not as active as normal. Shes normally a loone, now shes 'mundane' compared to her normal self.

Not recently, just tried to have a peek, but can't see anything, so thats deffo for the vet to look at. :?

If she's in pain and not eating she could do with a trip to an emergency vets today really, just for some painkillers if nothing else - Once their tum grinds to a halt it's fatal (not wanting to alarm you but they go downhill very quick) without drugs to get it going again - If she's been like this a couple of days she needs a vet today unfortunately - Mine always get sick at weekends or holidays too! :(

As Elve says your Bun needs to see a Vet today. If bun is drinking/weeing a lot she may have a bladder infection (Cystitis). This will be uncomfortable for her and so she will go off her food. The less she eats the more her guts slow down and without PROMPT veterinary intervention Elve is right to point out that it can sometimes prove fatal. These buns.....I swear they conspire to bankrupt all their two-foot carers as getting poorly out of normal Vet Clinic hours seems to be a speciality. :roll: :roll: Please let us know how you get on. Jane and Buns xx

Just to let you all know, Sooty is all better now! Phew! Still a mystery what was wrong, but she just started eatting again and everything functioning, so no need for tests. 8)

Thank you for all the great advice. :D

Hiya. Sounds like you need to get your Bun to the Vet TOMORROW MORNING. The symptoms you describe could indicate a bladder infection which would need antibiotic treatment. The fact that her poops are getting smaller indicates her GI motility is reduced. This can lead to GI stasis which is very serious. It would help your Vet diagnose the problem if you take a sample of her wee with you to the appointment. I really think your Bun needs to see the Vet ASAP. Tonight I suggest you bring your Bun in (if she is an outdoor rabbit). Try to get her to eat something, any of her favorite treats. If she appears to be in any distress before the morning or deteriorates in any way you need to contact an emergency Vet STRAIGHT AWAY. Please let us know how you get on. Jane and Buns xx

Back