• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit with small poops

Trudy

New Kit
Thank you so very much to you all for your kind replies and very informative answers to my questions.
I am very shocked at the Lactolouse this was told to me by a bunny rescuer and who runs Bunnymail . And I feel very bad about myself now because I did use it on Tasha who later died of a perforated gut.
I have tried pumkins but no one touched it I just got the look as to say "what do you expect me to do with that"
The dry mix the rabbits have are a mixture of the science sellect pellets and the super excell pellets, they have three kinds of hay inc timothy hay, and veggies.
How much liquid parafin is a save dose to use and how often?
And please can you tell me what Milpar is? One old rabbit book suggested castor oil is this ok to buy? I will also try the kitty malt in future too, but how much is a save dose? I did try the pineapple juice once but the rabbit ended up tith a very sore dewlap due to the drippling when trying to syringe even though I used a towel the rabbit still kept the liquid ready in his mouth to spit out. the vet told me that the pineapple was a bad idea .
Cheers Trudy xx
Love
Trudy
xx

Hiya. Milpar is a laxative used for children/adults. You can buy it over the counter at Pharmacies. With regards to the Liquid Paraffin if your bun weighs about 2.5 kg then you could give about 3ml twice a day. Dont feel bad about the Lactulose. You were only following advice in good faith and I am very sorry you lost your other bun. I would still be concerned to find out WHY your bun has a reduced gut motility as otherwise you are just treating the symptoms rather than eliminating the cause. Things to consider are: are buns teeth OK (FULL check needs to be done under GA) Is your bun in discomfort(chronic low grade pain reduces gut motility)Is bun getting enough exercise( a bun who does not can have 'slow guts') Is bun having adequate fluid intake. Hope you get to the bottom(Ooops, pardon the pun :roll: ) of your buns sluggish Tum. Jane and Buns xx

Hi Trudy, is it Harvey? has he been eating ok as I have had to take Opal in tonight as she had not been eating and her pellets were really small, they have kept her in as they think she has a bit of stasis.
I hope you and your mum are ok. Let me know how you get on.
Love
Kay.

If it helps, Squidgy (nethie dwarf) had a problem tummy. He came to me with overgrown teeth, which we subsequently had taken out. It took a while to regulate his diet, he had squidgy poos, then small poos. Now we've swapped him over onto Allen and Page pellets and his poops are ginormous! He now has greens in the morning, veg at night and 50g pellets. he's a very reluctant hay eater, but we put several types in his bowl, and he has to eat that otherwise he goes hungry.

Back