• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit worried about Harry

AlisonA

Warren Veteran
I've just come back from the vets with Harry, because he has been a bit funny with his food over the past couple of days. I thought it might be a spur, or possibly some wind as I ran out of veg and gave him more broccoli than normal the night before last. He seems absolutely fine in himself, but just isn't eating right. This morning I took the bowl of food in and whereas he usually puts his front feet on it and sticks his head in as I'm trying to feed them, this morning he just bit the container and tried to throw it.

The vet looked at his teeth and said she could see them fairly well and they looked fine, and felt his tummy and there wasn't any gas or anything, she said it all felt nice and soft and normal. His bum is nice and clean too. What else could be up with him, I'm worried :?

Awwww, I have no ideas for you, just wanted to say I hope harry gets well soon!!

Snuggles and nose rubs from us xxx

Hiya Alison. If I were a betting person I'd lay odds on Harry probably having a wee spur on a molar tooth. Without a GA it is near on impossible to get a full view of the back molars cos of all the folds of soft tissue in a buns mouth that needs to be help back with a retractor. The fact that Harry is snatching his bowl makes me think he is hungry but knows if he eats it'll hurt. You could try moistening his food and encouraging him to eat the veggies he is used to. You need to keep a check on his poops. If they become small/hard/very dry and few in number it is indicative that Harry's guts are slowing down. If Harry is still not eating normally tomorrow I would take him back to the Vet and ask if a GA/Dental might be a good idea. Jane and Buns xx

AlisonA said:
I've just come back from the vets with Harry, because he has been a bit funny with his food over the past couple of days. I thought it might be a spur, or possibly some wind as I ran out of veg and gave him more broccoli than normal the night before last. He seems absolutely fine in himself, but just isn't eating right. This morning I took the bowl of food in and whereas he usually puts his front feet on it and sticks his head in as I'm trying to feed them, this morning he just bit the container and tried to throw it.

The vet looked at his teeth and said she could see them fairly well and they looked fine, and felt his tummy and there wasn't any gas or anything, she said it all felt nice and soft and normal. His bum is nice and clean too. What else could be up with him, I'm worried :?

Maybe a second opinion with a vet? I don't know what else to suggest, I hate to see unwell animals ::: hugs :::

Thanks Jane, that's my feeling too and a spur was my initial reaction. The vet also said that sometimes for whatever reason their gut can get a bit out of sync with the caecatroph/normal poo cycle and that can make them a bit off their food at 'normal' feeding times, yet eating ok at other times - which is what he is doing, and he's also moulting heavily at the moment. So for now I'm just trying to tempt him with lots of lovely tasty food and putting some bio-lapis on it and see how he goes overnight, he is still very much himself personality and activity wise.

The vet is definitely ok with doing a GA and look at his teeth, but did say that she would rather leave it a day or two to see if it resolves itself, as she doesn't really want to give a GA unnecessarily.

:?

Update: I've just fed them their veg and he is tucking in to that with great gusto. I have recently been letting my other pair of bunnies lean into the pellet tub and pick out some food before I put it in their house, could this make him grumpy that he can smell them on 'his' food and not eat it straight away in a huff?

It's funny isn't it, I'm absolutely fine giving other people advice, but when it's my own animals not right, I just go to pot :lol: I feel a bit happier now I've seen him tucking in merrily though, at least he's eating something.

Ah Harry bunster, glad you are eating much better today. I hope your Mum isn't too worried. I bet you are just testing her, like my two did recently!!!!
Sending you nose rubs.
Nicola, Mia and Mea xxx

Ummm... :oops: ...I think I've discovered the cause of Harry's lack of interest in his pellets :oops: Some of you may recall that the inside of their shed looks like this:

ac14259e.jpg

So I opened the shed door this morning and discovered Harry sitting on the top shelf of the unit on the right hand side, inside the bag of Science selective :lol: The naughty little fellow has obviously been helping himself whenever he fancies them :lol: I thought he was eating his veg nicely and not behaving like a sick bunny :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a cheeky bunny! :lol: Awww, least he isn't poorly though!!!! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yaaaaaaaaaaaay for Harry!! Why wait for a two foot to feed you when you can help yourself!! Smart Bunster 8) :wink: Jane and Buns xx

Back