• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

phantom pregnancy?

CuBar

Warren Scout
I've just got dome from work and let the rabbit out as usual, she ran round for seconds then sat under the table and started pulling out loads of fur, i went over to see what she was doing and she became quite aggressive, thunping and ran away, continued pulling out mounds of fur from her belly, legs,anywhere and stuffing it in her mouth!! Is this a phantom pregnancy, she is about five months old and ive had her for over a month so i know she cant be pregnant..please help!!
Amanda

As long as you are sure shes not been with a male then it does sound like a phantom pregnancy her hormones are just starting to kick in, best to get her spayed when shes about 6 months old.
DEB

it certianly sounds like it,Flossie would have a phantom pregnacy every couple of weeks from aged 4 months. It was very distressing for her (she obvioulsy was very sad when she didnt have any babies) and for her partner Bunny, whom she would attack, and also for me, trying to take care of her. The vet was not happy to spey until she was 6 months, so we had 2 months of it :cry: By the time she was done, she had massive bald patches which took ages torecover.

oh no! so iv got another month of this!! She has just gone back into her cage and deposited a very big soggy ball of fur from her mouth under the bedding but in the middle of the cage!she seems very anxious and wont keep still for a second. She hasn't eaten much today altough she has pooped and weed, is that right for a phantom pregnancy? She is also digging an awful lot at the carpet too..naughty bunny! :lol:
Sorry for so many questions!
Amanda

oh no! so iv got another month of this!! She has just gone back into her cage and deposited a very big soggy ball of fur from her mouth under the bedding but in the middle of the cage!she seems very anxious and wont keep still for a second. She hasn't eaten much today altough she has pooped and weed, is that right for a phantom pregnancy? She is also digging an awful lot at the carpet too..naughty bunny! :lol:
Sorry for so many questions!
Amanda

Just give her plenty of bedding so she can be happy making herself a nest. Phoebe did the same thing before she was spayed. If you ring your vet they may be able to spay her earlier than 6 months if she is very hormonal.

she seems to have calmed down an bit now, :oops: is it normal for them to have a mad 10 minutes then calm down? how long does it normally last? Im being a very paranoid mummy :roll:

Once they have built the nest that should be it. Take it all away the nex day .As a rule they tend to forget it very quickly. val

my bunny is about 10 months old now, but she hasnt had a phantom pregnancy nor does she get pre menstrual...in all the time ive had her shes thumped her foot once...my other rabbits were awful for pre menstuation bit and thumped and hawked...horrible!
but this one is constantly happy...how bizzaar lol

Back