• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit wont eat rabbit food

deb

Young Bun
As you might remember, in the week i posted a thread about my female lionhead gypsy who became unwell and i had to force feed her,she was fine the next day and she is still drinking ok, eating hay, straw, greens, (and news paper) but not her science selective. She normally loves it but now she wont touch it. Just now when i was giving the g-pig his science selective for guinea pigs some fell on the floor and gypsy ate it up so ive just left a pile of each on the floor and shes only eating the g-pig food. Im confussed any ideas? Also shes moulting at the moment would this put her off her food.
DEB

Could it be her teeth? This past week, my bunny Evo has started to go off his dried food, whilst still eating hay. I thought the food might be off, so opened a new bag but he still didn't want to know. A vet check confirmed that his teeth have got spurs again, which is being sorted on Monday.

Could your bunny food be spoiled? Be careful when giving the guinea pig food, as you don't want to upset Gypsy's already sensitive tummy with a sudden change in diet.

No the foods not spoiled as the other rabbits are eating it ok. I did think it might be her teeth but if is was then i wouldnt have thought she would be able to eat the g-pig pellets as they are just as hard as the s /s.

Try soaking it in water maybe with a little juice in it. If her teeth are bothering her that may make her more willing to eat it.
Mine like the guinea science selective too, in fact they like any guinea food better :roll:

How would i know if it was her teeth ive seen her front teeth and they are not over grown.

If the front teeth are fine, then it can be the back teeth that can cause a problem. They grow spurs on them which are sharp (like my bunny has), a lot of the time these can only be seen when the bunny is under anaesthetic, but my vet could see them with an optoscope(?) when we took him to the vet on Tuesday.

It does sound that this may be Gypsy's problem, Evo had a very large number of not eating attacks in 2004 (like your Gypsy had last week). We didn't know a cause, until someone on the forum suggested teeth. It turns out that the pain in his mouth caused him to not want to eat, which in turn caused the not pooing problem. I took him to the vet to get his teeth checked this week, as he has had 2 not eating episodes in the past week, which made me think his teeth were bad again.

Sorry for rambling, it is just a suggestion.

Back