• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spey

becki_moorcroft

Warren Scout
ok, i've had a dilema with my mini rex doe, something involving the little girls next door and a british giant, i could have swore he never got to her but over the past couple of days has got 'pot-bellied' and her vulva has become dark and swollen, so i rushed of to the vets but they couldn't feel any babies in there, but like thats a clue...

anyhoo to be on the safe side i've booked her in for a spey first thing next week, i was hoping to wait untill the end of march when the weathers better but after the scare this week, i'm sure they'll all be done (inc the british giant) my the end of feb at the latest,

but i've never had a bun speyed before and although the vet assures me its ok and i trust her (unlike the others who are just plain idiots when it comes to rabbits) i'm still totally nervous, and was hoping you guys could just calm me down...

Well, a spay is the best thing for her if you suspect she has kits in her...especially considering the size difference between a mini rex and british giant.
Like with every animal, putting them under there is risk, but a spay is a pretty regular procedure......As long as your vet is rabbit savvy and your bun is healthy things should be just fine....Although I don't think it is fair to be calling the vets that dont do rabbits idiots, they simply dont specialize in that area and as long as they arent saying or implying they do I dont think that it is fair to be "name calling".

trust me this vet is, he thinks hes better than everyone, and just won't listen to what you have to say because he 'knows best and has the qualification' and i'm just a stupid 20 something, even if 9 times out of 10 i know whats wrong with the rabbit before i get there. like if i say he's been eating and pooing fine, oh no not today... well i think i know... they must be yesterday's poos.... they get cleaned out 3 times a day and fed twice, so i know he has, he's not impacted, its something contagoius, are you sure its not vhd, no couldn't be there'd be blood everywhere!?! what! ok so he didnt' have vhd is was a really bad pasturella, but he certainly wasn't impacted, and since when is blood everywhere a requirement of vhd.

also when he vaccinated this doe, he wasn't paying enough attention (my fault really i should have spoken up at the time, but silly me thinking the vet knows best) was too busy showing off to the young attractive student he had in that e gave nixy the vhd vaccine in the muscle on her leg instead of under skin inscruff.... which may not seem a huge mistake but gave her a whopiing abscese terrible infection and caused the muscle to die off, she was in agony for about 3 weeks and it cost me 4 times the cost the injection to put it right, she still can't use her leg properly.

he has a certificate in small animal vetinary care... and as thus i believe he is not worthy of my respect as he won't even admit to his own mistakes, saying that the rabbit must have got attacked and it wasn't the injection.... i just asked attacked by what, she lives on her own! and my vet agreed it looked like the injection site and there was no bite wounds but couldn't say anything as he's her boss....i just get so mad with him.

I know what you mean about vets - the lady at my group practise is great - I really trust her, and I assumed that her partner would be equally good - after all they do discuss things don't they? Wrong!!! He's appalling and I promised my animals they would never have to see him after my one and only appointment with him! I would rather wait now and get an appointment with the lady I trust.

So if this lady is doing the operation, double check that she is on the day! I'm sure you have no choice really given the circumstances, as babies that big will kill your doe anyway - So if you look at it like that, a spay is going to be the best thing for her, and if you trust your vet I'm sure it will just be a straightforward op for her - it's the aftercare that's crucial with a spay, and that's down to you so just nurse her for a few days indoors and I'm sure she'll recover fine :)

thanks guys, i haven't asked who's on that day as, as its an emergency one really i don't want to know as it'll just cause more worry, there are about 6 different vets at this place, some are quite good really and just suck at the people side lol :lol: kinda like me. but cough cough the british giant is going to be going in as soon as phoenix has been done, i can't cope with the worry, but as thats not life threatening i'd book him in for my usual vet. and then my other girls, so only the buns that i want to breed from can breed, and i don't have to worry.

just thought i'd let you know pheonix was done on tuesday and is now recovering very well, and will shortly be on the lookout for a boyfriend.

in the mean time, my 'stud' cody will be off to have his bits removed at the beginning of febuary so he should stop wooing the girls shortly... bless him he's got no idea whats in store... how will he ever forgive me :lol: :lol:

Back