• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chubby bunsters

sarsimp

Mama Doe
Just a quick query guys - Polly and Pip are both a bit porky I feel - I would like to cut some of their food down - should I
a) Do it now or wait till spring
b) Cut down pellets they have 2 very small handfulls twice a day between them
c) Cut down or out, carrots (they only have a couple of slices every day)

They have greens every day but they arent fattening are they?

Don't forget to try and encourage them to exercise more, that will help too, as will giving them their food in a treat ball or something, to make them work a bit for it. No need to wait until spring to do things like that :D

what food are they fed on? You could always try to get them to do more exercise like putting their pellets in a treat ball.. worked wonders for my Nala :wink:

I would cut down on their pellets a little and increase hay! thats what I've been doing to Fudge as well as cutting down on carrot and no porridge now Treacle's gone!!!

my friend has a house bunny, and was advised by her vet that she was overweight. The vet told my friend to stop her mixed food and give her a special diet instead....one which he sold to her for £4.99 for a small bag. Note, it was not advised for my friend to slowly change the food, just to swap over straight away. I gave my friend some better advice, and asked her to show me the food the vet had given, guess what, it was excel light!! I told my friend that she could buy it from pet shop for half what the vet was charging, or better still to cut down the food and add more hay (bunny already eats lots of veg). Anyway I was shocked that the vet would give such advice and also rip her off by selling the food at twice the price!!

just read your post again and it doesn't sound like you overfeed them anyhow so may be just try to think of ways for them to get more exercise. treatball as was mentioned earlier is a good one! :D

Yes - a treatball is a good idea - they ofcourse have unlimited hay - the pellets are Burgess exell - they have access to their run 24/7 but I spose they dont run about that much unless they have to :roll:
Thanks guys :D

sarsimp said:
Yes - a treatball is a good idea - they ofcourse have unlimited hay - the pellets are SS - they have access to their run 24/7 but I spose they dont run about that much unless they have to :roll:

that was fudge's problem then I got him a huge hormonal 6 month old girlfriend so now he has to run! :twisted: :p :lol:

touie said:
sarsimp said:
Yes - a treatball is a good idea - they ofcourse have unlimited hay - the pellets are SS - they have access to their run 24/7 but I spose they dont run about that much unless they have to :roll:

that was fudge's problem then I got him a huge hormonal 6 month old girlfriend so now he has to run! :twisted: :p :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Dont think my 2 would appreciate that much :lol:

Sorry - for some strange reason (think Id been reading about it on another thread) I put SS instead of Burgess exell :roll: HORMONES :shock:

ooh could always try excel light then as an option instead of the hormonal youngster! :lol:

Good idea - I usually buy a large bag but I could get a smaller one and try it :)

I put their pellets in a treat ball this morning and they went berserk :roll: Like 'wheres our pellets mum you meanie boo hoo'! So I weakened and put a very small amount in their dish and the rest in the ball :roll:

PS Touie you could always hire Amy out as a fitness instructorbun :lol:

Some veggies are high in starch, and this would put weight on.
Which veggies do you lot prefer?

My Marmalade is huge at the moment, I can't stop her from eating. She eats everything and anything she can get her paws on. SHe even steals from the compost heap when she's desperate.

She has plenty of exercise chasing the other bunnies, think she's big boned like me :lol: :lol:

Benny's put weight on as I've been giving him extra (double) pellets with it being winter - The girls in the shed have had extra too, but they must burn it all off chasing each other as they haven't got any fatter at all.

So Benny is now going back to 'summer rations' which is one very small handful of pellets a day, in the morning, hay all day, a bit of veg at 5pm (a chunk of carrot, sprig of brocolli and large leaf of greens) and about 6 pellets at bedtime, for a treat when I shut him up.

Like us, they don't want to be losing weight quickly, so I reckon if I start now he'll burn it off by spring.

If I was you I would keep their diet the same as it is but cut out the evening pellets and just give them a couple of pellets each, to say goodnight :)

Alfie kennedy said:
Mine dont even touch the treat ball!!!!

:lol: Pip just bashed and bashed it cos he was so cross and when the pellets came out he was so surprised¬ :lol:

Mad-cat-rabbit - thats so funny - bless her :lol:

Elve - I think thats the way I'll go too but now Pip seems to have got thehang of the treatball, I may keep the pellets in there just for the enertainment :lol: Cos they get greens every eve they hopefully wont miss a full portion of pellets :roll:

Back