• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my poor eeyore...tilted head

houndour

Warren Scout
I don't believe it. My poor little eeyore is having a rough life. We noticed a slight tilt of his head which I thought might be caused from when he jumped off the settee and landed a bit funny...

Anyway he was taken to vet this morning and the vet said its either tilt due to an inner ear infection (I assume a result of his bad spout of pasteurella last week), or just some kind of paralysis...if this doesnt make sense I'm repeating what my bf told me!

I looked on the web for tilt and it seems that there could be loads of reasons...

infection, stroke, concussion...

The vet says he's not in any pain, but how does she know? He is eating well...(not so much pellets - but he's never been good at eating many) but lots of hay and veg. He's had an injection of steroids and is due another on Monday.

My poor baby. I've read that they can walk in circles if it gets really bad. He seems to have poor balance (when he jumps in hutch he nearly falls over). I'm going to try and clean his snuffly nose without picking him up from now on to reduce any stress and disorientation.

Anyone else out there with a bunny with tilt?

I have an old girl with a really bad head tilt from horrid infections in both ears. And I have a little chap who gets recurrent bouts of it, but is fine in between. He has snuffles too. So far baytril sorts both out, although it may not continue to work forever. He just had another bout of snuffles but didn't develop a tilt this time :D
If your rabbit is eating then that is the worst worry out of the way. Steroid injections really helped Lace too at the beggining. She has had it for 6 months now and although really tipped over she hops in and out of her dog crate and bosses her companions and eats everything that comes her way. She has both baytril and penicillin injections to keep the infection in her ears under control. But it sounds as if you caught your rabbits condition far earlier - Lace had ear infections already when she came to me. So he may follow Blueberry's model and make a full recovery although he may well get it again. The thing is to learn to recognise the signs and treat him asap.
There is another cause of head tilt - the organism EC (I forget what that stands for right now :oops: ) A course of panacur will be required if that is the cause.
If he does get worse bear with him, it will improve again. Wrapping towels and padding a small space or him to stay safe in will help get him through any rolling that happens.

Thanks for the reply. It makes me feel better knowing that there are other people out there dealing with it. Especially the snuffles too.

Eeyore officially has pasteurella and last week we thought he was going to die. When we took him him they suspected pneumonia, but antibiotics and force feeding pulled him through the night. We've only had him and twiggy since May and they had snuffles when we got them (altho rehoming place says they didnt have it there). This was the first time it got serious and its quick shocking how quickly it happened.

This tilt thing is just another kick in the teeth really. It's sad to see him like this. I have to admit though, he doesnt seem affected by it at all. But then everyone always says "rabbits are prey animals and will hide pain" and thats what always makes me worry.

eeyore is having a blood test on monday...I hope that won't be too late.
He is also apparently having a second shot of steroids.

If at all possible I really would try to speak with your Vet re starting Eeyore on some Panacur TODAY. IF he does have EC then the longer the parasite remains in him the more damage the spores will do (to his brain/kidneys). This damage is IRREVERSIBLE. If your Vet agrees to the Panacur TWIGLETT will need to be treated with it too as EC is passed from Bun to Bun via an infected rabbits wee. Please let us know how you get on and I hope that Eeyore is soon much better. Jane and Buns xx

Poor Eeyore - I agree about the panacur - it's cheap and there's no harm in giving it to him before a proper diagnosis - better safe than sorry.

Back