• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

oxbow timothy hay

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
i was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere i can get the 50lb boxes of oxbow timothy hay from? i emailed hop n hutch to ask when they would be able to deliver but they have none in stock and have told me that they wont have for another month :?

im on my last bag of timothy hay now so will need it by the end of next week probably. if anyone knows of anywhere else that sells the 50lb box(ive seen the 25lb box but you can get double the amount for about £10 extra!) then please let me know! :)

Sorry I don't know the answer but I wish I did - as I need some too!! I have just had a sample of the bunnybasics hay delivered but my bunnies aren't so keen - Harry snipped it into tiny pieces but didn't eat any, and the littl'uns have ignored it totally. Trust bunnies to like the most expensive and hard to get hold of stuff :lol:

Jacob won't eat the Bunny Basic either. It smells lovely but looks more straw like than hay, much wider strands. He eats very little hay but will eat some of the West willow hay. Is this Oxbow another kind? He has the forage excel stuff too and just doesn't eat any amount worth mentioning.

Bunnybasics, oxbow and WWW are all Timothy Hays - BB one comes from Canada, Oxbow from the USA I think and WWW from...errr...Wales, so I guess they are all a bit different. Whether it's the first or second cut also makes a difference to the nutrition content and the taste/texture. Wider strands is good if they will eat it, as I think that is what encourages the chewing action which keeps their teeth from overgrowing. When mine arrives, I'm happy to send you a sample if you like, as it isn't cheap and you won't want to buy it if he doesn't like it :lol: Mine seem to prefer it, it smells so good I almost want to munch on it myself sometimes!

:lol: I found it on the next page, if you click on the petfood page, the one at the bottom of the page goes up to 11 kilos or whatever it was, but in tiny print it says items 1-20 of 21. Click onto the next page and voila! The one item on it is the 50lb box. I hope I haven't just bought the last one in stock :oops:

you better not have!! :evil: :lol:

i keep meaning to ask-does it come inside a bag in the box? id assume so as alot of people keep theirs outside so surely if it was just in a box it would get damp?

id better go order some before it goes out of stock! :shock:

Dunno, only ever bought small bags of it before, but I'm happy now that my bunnies like it so I'll buy a big box and give some to a rescue as well. I'm just a little bit nervous about the size of box that's gonna turn up :shock:

SPH are brill, I just got a 1kg bag from them and it arrived really quickly, even though had bank holiday in the middle!! :)

the boxs are heavy, i could not lift on my own...maybe i am just a wimp!!and yes the hay is in a bag inside the box.

ah144 said:
the boxs are heavy, i could not lift on my own...maybe i am just a wimp!!and yes the hay is in a bag inside the box.

thanks for letting me know-atleast i know it will be nice and fresh for them!

the hay arrived yesterday-lovely and fresh smelling and plenty of it! will save me quite a bit as i have been buying it in the 1.1kg bags so far so this is saving me over £120 :shock: very pleased!

Mine arrived on Tuesday and guess what, my bunnies have turned their noses up at it :lol: It's a lot harder than the stuff in the smaller bags, not sure if that's because of the way it's compressed for packing or whether it's just that we're on a different cut so it is different overall anyway :?

really? i didnt notice any difference between mine and the stuff i got in the smaller bags, and the buns and pigs certainly havnt turned their noses up at it! have yours started eating it ok now or are they still being stubborn? :lol:

Ryo_the_rat said:
really? i didnt notice any difference between mine and the stuff i got in the smaller bags, and the buns and pigs certainly havnt turned their noses up at it! have yours started eating it ok now or are they still being stubborn? :lol:
No they continued to refuse so I bought a smaller bag (it's definitely softer, maybe because it's been cut down - perhaps there's a big machine which cuts it and that squishes it a bit?

However not to worry as around 40 rescue bunnies are currently enjoying it instead :lol:

oh no!! well atleast some bunnies are enjoying it! :thumb: how strange that mine are still diving on it like they do the smaller bags :? thank god they are anyway! :lol:

I posted recently on this topic but I cannot locate the responses. I think I posted under "problems with Oxbow hay or problems with timothy hay". You might want to do a search as the responses were helpful.

In short, my rabbits went off Oxbow Timothy hay suddenly because the hay was different to the hay I had fed them for one and a half years and
I thought there might have been a packaging problem. Most people who responded felt that there was a different texture to the hay at different times of the year. It was hard and bright green. I hadn't noticed this for one and a half years and felt Oxbow had muddled up the Orchard with the Timothy. Anyway, I was in panic as they stopped eating hay completely but after two days they started tucking into the £3.00 a bag meadow hay, hay they wouldn't touch in one and a half years. My normal hay bill was £60 a week so I was pleased they now eat meadow hay. I never found out why the Oxbow hay altered.

Back