• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mini-lops.. need advice

Mizzmarni

Young Bun
I have decided to get a mini lop as it is the smallist and im only small so i cant carry around a massive rabbit.. Anyway i used to have a doe lion head which apparently are famous for being grumpy..
She was grumpy and bity but i loved her :cry:
Anyway what are mini lops genrall like??? i need a relaxed breed and one who is REALLY loving, i also though i might get a buck this time.
Is it also true that bucks's spray even after being nutered?

Anyway hope you guys can help..

All my love always

Mizzmarni
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have 7 mini lops and 1 dwarf mini lop.
Dwarf mini lops are much smaller than the mini lop.
I've found the younger the bunny is when you get them then the more loving they are. Try to adopt one that has been well handled when it was a youngster. But even the most handled of rabbits is not a guarentee to be soft and cuddly.

Mine only spray when there is either a unneutered male or female around, or they've gone into new territory for the first time.

My Harry is 7 years old and a mini lop, he loves being cuddled like a baby but as soon as he's had enough he lets you know. Hermione is a 4 month old house bunny and she follows me around like a little dog, she loves having her nose stroked. Then there's Marmalade who is a stroppy female, I've had her since she was 6 months old and she's now 2 1/2.So different bunnies react in different ways.

Hope this helps

hiya.. I think alot of the rabbit's personality will be individual altho mini lops and lionheads do seem to be very friendly bunnies.. Are you far from GBH rehoming in Beckenham? They seem to have quite a few mini lops in at the moment so maybe it would be worth going for a visit to meet some bunnies to see which are small enough for you and who is friendly enough etc.. and they are all so adorable! Here's one just to tempt ya :wink:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=3953

Miniature Lops are one of the smallest lop breed weighing about 3lb8oz. This is the same size as the Miniature Casmere Lop which is long coated.
MiniCashmereLop.jpg

Dwarf Lops and Cashmere Lops are a bit bigger at around 1lb heavier.
CashmereLop.jpg

All of the lops are very friendly however I find that they all tend to kick when picked up much more than any other breed.

I personally think that Netherland Dwarfs (2lbs) are much nicer about being lifted.
blue.jpg

This is my boy called Bloo, none of the other rabbits are mine

Then there is of course the Lionhead, weighing in at around 3lb8oz
chocolate.jpg

Another breed which I have found to be lovely but which I have never kept myself is the Himalayan. They are beautiful rabbits and the same size as Dwarf Lops at 4lb8oz
himalayan.jpg

Dutch and Tans are also about this size
dutch.jpg

blacktan.jpg

But Tans tend to kick and I have known many Dutch to become snappy with maturity.

Mini Rex are really lovely too, weighing around 4lb.
minirex.jpg

I took these images from http://www.thebrc.org

Mini lops as a rule are very friendly rabbits, i think from experience that males are better and most of mine never spray. I have a mini lop buck waiting for rehoming he is to be castrated next week . He is 6mths old and is aguti colour whitch is the wild rabbit colour. Hes a very friendly boy. Im in blackheath its very close to bexleyheath and welling in kent. Please message me if interrested. val

I had two lops before but they don't like to be picked up PERIOD. Most bunny doesn't like it and won't tolerate it. They will kick and nip...
My lops were SUPER friendly, loving, and very demonstrative....just don't picked them up. LOL! :wink:
Good luck.

there's one looking for a home on rabbits in need maybe - depending on how sociable it is with other bunnies - might be worth PMing about it?

i keep and breed mini lops and find they are super friendly and love being picked up and cuddled, they'll sit on my shoulder and just get carried about, i think a lot of how friend a bun is depends on how its being treated from the age of about 3 weeks onwards, which in my opinion is the only draw back of a rescue bun, there's a lot more work to get them friendly, but it can be done. minis are the smallest breed of lop, mini cashs are the same size, but often end up slightly bigger as they're a newer breed and look bigger too cos of all that fur and a lot of work (sos im not keen on long haired buns think its kinda cruel...) but i'd recomend mini lops to anyone as they're amazingly eaisy to handle and tolerate a lot more than most breeds, like the two year old playing with them, which the lionheads and mini rex wouldn't,

elve said:
there's one looking for a home on rabbits in need maybe - depending on how sociable it is with other bunnies - might be worth PMing about it?

The lady is called kayj and she is based in Bolton, Lancashire.

She has plenty of bunnies available for rehoming. The house rabbit called "Bunny" is up for rehoming, she's blue/grey in colour. I've seen her and she's gorgeous. She would have to live on her own tho as she doesn't like other bunnies.

my jack is a mini lop weighs about 4.5lb and is the sweetest natured she will do anything he rolls about like a dog he does think he is a dog but she is a big attention seeker as he is spoilt
jack2001.jpg
this is jack he is a little chubby at the moment this is him posing

The thing about rabbits is that all depends on how the babys are handled from day one. A good breeder will make sure that the babys are handled daily from the time they come out of the nest, aslo using a doe that has a good temprement helps as this is past on to the babys. All my 60 show rabbits are good at beinh handled and all the babys i have are handled all the time. If any of mine do end up as pets [not many do] i can be assured that is a friendly handable rabbit that will be a pleasure to be picked up and cuddled. Its all in the breeding. People that breed for money to not take the time to socialize there babys because it takes time and there only interrested in profit. val

Back