• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm worried!!!

Sue&Sooty

Wise Old Thumper
Ok so this is the possible problem

Holly appears to have got rather large round her middle and has started shredding her vet bed! When I picked her up tonite I felt her nipples which I have never noticed before.... I have now had her for 31 days.. can you guess what I'm worried about yet!! Sooty has not had access to her at all but Kim (who I got her from) did have an un-neutered male!! She hasn't pulled out any of her fur but like I said she has been shredding her vet bed..

Am I worrying over nothing do you think or does it sound like I could be haring the patter of tiney feet any day soon??

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh oh - blimey Sue - that would be a bargain package then :shock:
Sorry to joke cos it would be a shock for you i guess?
Spose all you can do is wait and see - maybe odd that shes not making a nest with her hay? I dont know :oops:

It's possible that she's having a phantom pregnancy, if she is unneutered and has recently been living in close proximity to a male - this may have sent her hormones on overdrive, doing odd things to her body both pysically and for her behaviour. Keep a close eye though, just in case there had been some kind of accidental meeting before hand.

It's difficult to tell, it could be a phantom pregnancy triggered because there is a boy around even if she can't actualy get to him. I think breeders can tell by feeling the tummy but I wouldn't have a clue.

Tam

Well, you will know if it is a phantom or not within a 3 days so not to long to worry. I would make sure to give her a nest box of some sort just incase. It is better to be over prepared then have something go wrong.

Hope it is just a phantom!

I guess it's just going to be a case of watch this space then!!! :shock: :shock:

What should I give her as a nesting box? Heres a pic of the cage she's in at the mo, she also has access to a run attatched to it all the time now too.
1stattempt070.jpg

She has her vet bed underneath the green covered bit on the picture, will she need an actual box in there?

Keep us posted Sue!

You may be OK, I had a female bunny who used to pull her tummy hair out and make nests and the boy was only in the next hutch and they only ever sniffed noses!

31 days would be very long for a pregnancy. 28 is normal, but if she is pregnant you just need to make sure she has plenty of hay and a dark hiding area and she'll be fine. I would like to have a nest area I could access eaily though, just so I could keep an eye on the kits.

Thank you Cat!

I' starting to think it's a phantom pregnancy, not sure why, but just have that feeling :?

I've put some extra hay in under the covered area just incase though.. she can always eat it if she doesn't need it for babies!! :shock:

I can see, just about, inside the covered bit without disturbing it so that should be ok if need be.

I'm hoping she's just being a hormonal bunster who thinks it's amusing making her 2foot panic!!! :lol:

BlackCat said:
31 days would be very long for a pregnancy. 28 is normal, but if she is pregnant you just need to make sure she has plenty of hay and a dark hiding area and she'll be fine. I would like to have a nest area I could access eaily though, just so I could keep an eye on the kits.
31-32 days is a normal gestation period for a bun. If you have had Sooty for 31 days and any possible mating happend BEFORE she came to you then at this stage you could easily feel any kits in her uterus. Also she would now be producing a bit of milk. At 31 days it really would be hard NOT to know if Sooty were pregnant :wink: Jane and Buns xx

Thanks Jane..

I'm so pleased that I found this forum, it's great to get such good advice and reassurance from such wonderful and knowledgeable people.. 8)

Oh and Jane, by the way, Sooty is my boy.... it's Holly thats the girly!! :lol:

Sue&Sooty said:
Thanks Jane..

I'm so pleased that I found this forum, it's great to get such good advice and reassurance from such wonderful and knowledgeable people.. 8)

Oh and Jane, by the way, Sooty is my boy.... it's Holly thats the girly!! :lol:
Ooops sorry!! :oops: A pregnant SOOTY......now that WOULD be a worry!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

:lol: :lol: :lol: It sure would give the vet a BIG surprise on Tuesday when he goes in to be castrated!! :lol: :lol:

Sue&Sooty said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: It sure would give the vet a BIG surprise on Tuesday when he goes in to be castrated!! :lol: :lol:
So it is Sooty that goes to be castrated NOT the VET I assume....!! :wink: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

:lol: :lol: Oh Jane you do make me laugh!!

The even funnier thing is .... the vet is female!!!! :lol: :lol: we seem to be getting our bits mixed up with out bobs here!!

Sue&Sooty said:
:lol: :lol: Oh Jane you do make me laugh!!

The even funnier thing is .... the vet is female!!!! :lol: :lol: we seem to be getting our bits mixed up with out bobs here!!
Perhaps thats where I've been going wrong then....... :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

Back