• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering and bonding

chibichan

Young Bun
Hi, haven't written in awhile but i have a question. My newer bunny Bonsley got neutered last friday. He's doing fine, perfect opperation and he's been lounging around his cage the past few days. I let him out a couple times to play with his 'sister' Iris and they cuddled and romped around for a bit. They've been in seperate cages since I got him cause he had a bit of a humping problem. But their cages have been right next to eachother and they've played together outside and are getting along well now. I was wondering how long to wait until I put them in the same cage and the process of doing it. Thanks for any help!

Hiya! It's generally suggested that if she's not spayed, to wait at least 6 weeks as he can still make her fertile before then. JCO even had a neutered bunny that made another pregnant after 6.5 weeks :shock: Generally, it is accepted that from 6 weeks should be ok. If the female is spayed, you can introduce them after maybe 3 or 4 weeks when he has healed properly and his hormones have reduced - otherwise he might keep on humping her and annoy her too much. Good luck with the bonding :D

She is spayed, I got her last May and had her done in August. I was wondering how I should introduce them to a new cage. I'm making a new one since the one's we're using will be too small. Should I just throw them both in there or do it one at a time?

Hiya,

A new cage is good because it's neutral territory and that's the best way to bond. So you could either put them in there or somewhere else neither usually go.

If you give it a couple of weeks his hormones will go down and you might find it easier although there is usually still a little bit of humping :)

Tam

Back