• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A question to help Maya???

JIMGRACIE

Mama Doe
As most will know Maya, my black lop has a tear duct problem. He has had them flushed and his teeth have been checked, and we will be keeping an eye on them (or should i say the vet will??).

He now has a new problem. I have noticed that he has sticky front legs, where he has been cleaning his face during the day. He hates his front legs being touched, so there is no way i can get a brush near them. Is there an easy way of cleaning his front legs?

Any ideas appreciated

Oh Karly you have just reminded me...i was given some clean wipes when my female himi had an ulcer on her lady bits. Maybe i can try and wipe his front legs with them.

Thank you for the memo :)

Unfortunately sticky front legs is a sign that Maya probably has a snotty nose :( It is one of the indicactors for snuffles as the rabbit wipes away the snot with their front feet, often not letting it stay there long enough for you to see that there is a discharge. It could be that the discharge is from the eye though if he is wiping that with his paws :?
It is quite hard to get off. Using a very fine toothed comb may help, but chances are it will be straight back anyway :?

Thanks Doorkeeper, for your concern.

The gunk on Mayas front legs is from his eyes. He has tears, because of his tear duct problem. I can't get a comb near his legs he hates it!!

I have managed to clean them tonight with warm water and a flannel. I am sure once he gets used to his legs being touched with the flannel he'll be fine.

Its part of mine and Mayas daily routine to have his tears wiped and i guess it will be part of our routine to clean his legs too!!

Is Maya bonded yet (sorry I can't remember)?

If not then when you do get him a companion they may well clean up his face for him so his legs don't get so gunked up. I had a rabbit with a chronic tearing problem but her companion always kept her clean so I rarely had to clean her eyes once they were together.

Back