• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should we go to the vets?

melaniejb

Mama Doe
OK, need a little bit of advice...should we take Poppy back to the vets?????

We took Poppy to the vets before christmas as she had began to sneeze. The vet looked her over and she seemed very healthy other than the sneezing - no runny nose, ears healthy, eyes healthy etc. The vet gave us a course of Baytrill which we gave for 10 days. This didn't really affect the sneezing so after we had finished the 1st course, the vet gave us another 10 days worth.

Unfortunately we went on holiday and took Poppy to a boarding place. The lady there continued with the antibiotics and said that she didn't hear Poppy sneezing at all.

However, we've been home for nearly a week now and she is still sneezing but still looks healthy everywhere else. We have now finished the second course of Baytrill and are deciding whether to take her back to the vets or not....what do you guys think? Any advice greatly appreciated!!!!

Hiya. I note you say that whilst she was in her Holiday Home she apparently didn't sneeze. That makes me wonder if she is allergic to something in her home environment? Is she a House Bunny? If so are there any potential allergens in her environment? Air fresheners, central heating (which dries out a buns respiratory tract). If she does not have any nasal discharge and is well in herself it really sounds like your Bun has more of an allergy problem than an infective one. If so it is really a process of trying to establish what is causing irritation to her respiratory system. Jane and Buns xx

Hi,

i've been having the same problem with Mischa, (details on forum) and it's only been in the last week that she started having a discharge.
if your bun is indoors, the sort of thing my vet was checking with me was things like did i have a xmas tree in the house, was i decorating etc, etc?
the only new thing i had brought into the house before this started was a poinsetta but i subsequently moved it. mischa is still sneezing and is still on baytril and is going back to the vets tomorrow.
hope you find out what's causing your bun to sneeze!

Thanks for your advice! Jane mentioned that it could be due to central heating which struck a cord with me as Poppy's favourite place is next to a portable radiator - which gets so hot I can't touch it! When I read Jane's post we moved the radiator so Poppy couldn't sit next to it and guess what...she has only sneezed twice all evening and she's been out for 5 hours, and that is a HUGE difference!!!!!!!!! Thinking about it, we got the radiator about the same time as Popps started sneezing!!!

THANK YOU JANE AND BUNS!!!!!

Hope Mischa gets better soon, its so worrying when they aren't quite right isn't it?

thanks, Mischa was at vet this morning and has to go back in tomorrow for a swab and to get her teeth checked. hopefully that will determine what's causing her sneezing. hope that the radiator has solved your problem with Poppy. it is worying when they aren't well!

Back