• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

black and white dutch bred with a netherland dwarf...work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxfe_121

Warren Scout
hi i have a healthy black and white dutch rabbit called gucci who is just about 7 months old now and i want to breed her with my friends netherland dwarf...but im not sure what to expect kitten wise...wht will they look like...and ive been told tht netherland dwarves can produce peanut babies??? thnk u...if u have any pix of this breed mix then id love to see x

Re: black and white dutch bred with a netherland dwarf...wor

sxfe_121 said:
hi i have a healthy black and white dutch rabbit called gucci who is just about 7 months old now and i want to breed her with my friends netherland dwarf...but im not sure what to expect kitten wise...wht will they look like...and ive been told tht netherland dwarves can produce peanut babies??? thnk u...if u have any pix of this breed mix then id love to see x

If you must breed, are you going to make sure that all the babies will have homes to go to? Or will you keep them all? There are 100s of unwanted rabbits in this country & it seems a shame to add to them. You'll be taking the chance of another bunny finding their forever home. :(

sxfe_121 said:
well they already have a home, and they arnt even born yet!

Don't forget that they can have 12 & more babies. Then there's the cost of hutches, when they need separating & neutering & jabs. That's easily a cost of £100 per baby bunny, without the day-to-day costs.

No, I wouldn't recommend it. I presume that neither your friends rabbit or your own are pedigree?

Although both your rabbits may be healthy, the genes they carry and will pass on to any babies you have may well not be. Netherlands in particular have great problems with their teeth (as well as you meantioned peanuts). These problems may not be apparent by looking at the adult and you only find out about them when you end up with babies that need expensive medical treatment.

Unless you know both rabbits family history for several generations you should not breed from them.

You should also not breed from two different rabbits - especially ones that are different sizes.

That's leaving aside the issue of the difficulty in finding homes. As I write there are over 2000 rabbits sitting in rescue centres looking for homes. Many of these are young rabbits or even babies... you need a very good reason for contributing to that number.

Here iis some more information for you: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/breedingrabbits.asp

i just sed they all have homes, and i love my gucci so much id love to see what her offspring wud look like! im excited about it...and ive thought about it soo much, and i reallly wanna breed her,
plus my friend has a pet shop and he has loads of rabbits, he knows alot about them as do i, so i always have his help too

sxfe_121 said:
i just sed they all have homes, and i love my gucci so much id love to see what her offspring wud look like! im excited about it...and ive thought about it soo much, and i reallly wanna breed her,
plus my friend has a pet shop and he has loads of rabbits, he knows alot about them as do i, so i always have his help too

I love my bunnies too, and they will live longer, happier lives if they are not bred from.

If you are definitely going to do this, please, please research it as much as possible (not just from your Pet Shop Friend), before you put your bunny through the trauma of a pregnancy.

as long as i take responcibilty for them i dont see that ther is a problem, i wudnt let anything awful happend to them, and i deffinately have the space! anyway ill see, if i do breed her its , im going to plan it to the very last detail, like what times best tobreed her, im thinking april so they are born near summer so the weather is stable...

Your friend has a pet shop :?: :?: :?: So if you can't find proper homes for them they can always go there :?:
I give up :roll: :roll: :roll:

sxfe_121 said:
i just sed they all have homes, and i love my gucci so much id love to see what her offspring wud look like!

Sorry for the inqizition but every body says that :) It's really easy to find homes when the babies are just a plan or little but you need about 3 times the number of homes you think you do because loads of people drop out later. They decide they can't afford it, someone in their familiy says no, they can't have them in rented accomodation, the vet bills are too much etc.

You do realise that pregnancy has risks involved? One of the reasons I'd never breed from a bunny I loved is I've heard about the mum dying too often.

Plus a lot of first time rabbit mums kill the babies and eat them, a half eaten baby bunny isn't really something I want to deal with :?

The advice you are getting is coming from people with lots of experience and i would urge you to listen. No one is doubting you love your rabbit and you say that the babies will stay with you but wouldn't it be better to enjoy Gucci maybe think about getting her spey and getting her a neutered male to live with, we have just adopted a baby of 17 weeks and there are many other babies out there so if that is what you are looking for it won't be a problem.

look i didnt ask for sum moral debate, i know ur all fello rabit lovers but u do not no where i keep my bunnies, how, why nor do u no whether i have the space...and are presuming i cant look after them!...i didnt ask that
all i wanted to know was what a cross breed of a dutch and a netherland wud look like...not to be made to feel like i am incaperble, i have bred before

Jaypot said:
Your friend has a pet shop :?: :?: :?: So if you can't find proper homes for them they can always go there :?:
I give up :roll: :roll: :roll:
I wish to be 100% associated with the views of Jays post!! I am NOT launching a personal attack on you and do not doubt that you 'love your Gucci'. But the breed combination is a recipe for problems, you may not find homes for ALL the kits if Gucci has 12+ of them. So if your friend sells them from his shop how will you KNOW FOR CERTAIN they are going to a good home and are not just an impulse buy for a 'child who wants a rabbit'. I am sorry, but I think you are being irresponsible. Jane and Bunsx.

No one has said you ar incapeable and they have also said that breeding a dutch and a nethie is not a good idea. No one here is out to judge you in anyway we just want you to see all sides of the situation. If you didn't care you wouldn't be asking.

i understand totally...i just dont appriciate this...patronising tone that has been thrown on me, i mean honestly im not a bad person here! just think how you all made me feel!

exactly...ur all talknig like ive gone right ahead and already done it, i came on to ask...not to get accused of being irresponcible and be made to feel like im not caperble of caring for these unborn rabbits , ur all to quik to jump to conclusions

sxfe_121 said:
as long as i take responcibilty for them i dont see that ther is a problem, i wudnt let anything awful happend to them, and i deffinately have the space! anyway ill see, if i do breed her its , im going to plan it to the very last detail, like what times best tobreed her, im thinking april so they are born near summer so the weather is stable...

Anyone on this forum can come up with a million reasons why you shouldn't do this. It really is a shame to put your bunny through this if you care about her so much

sxfe_121 said:
i understand totally...i just dont appriciate this...patronising tone that has been thrown on me, i mean honestly im not a bad person here! just think how you all made me feel!

No one thinks you are a bd person, they are just giving you their opinions. Bottom line is we all including yourself have the rabbits best interest at heart and they feel it would be best not to breed her especially with a nethie dwarf.

Nobody is attacking you, but I'm sure you can understand that it's frustrating to think of people choosing to breed their pets when there are so many darling bunnies in rescues in need of a home. The overall tone of your posts in this thread make it sound like you have already made up your mind, but maybe I'm reading this wrong.

Read carefully and you'll see you've been given some sensible advice about breeding these two breeds, and also general advice on the health risks of breeding. I'd urge you to read it all again, and try to put aside your offended feelings and just think about what's best for Gucci.

Also, just out of interest, can I ask what made you change your mind about having Gucci speyed? Just wondering as back in October you posted that you planned to get her speyed soon, and commented several times that you really wanted to have her neutered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back