• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Boarding in Devon area

Hoppyacres

Young Bun
Hi,

I live in Mid Devon with my Shetland Sheepdog and two bonded bunnies, trouble is I've got a holiday booked May 10th-19th this year and have just begun to look for suitable boarding for my Buns.

Does anyone know of anywhere or anyone that Boards Bunnies in Devon?

I had seen an advert in my Vets for somewhere charging £4 per rabbit per night or £6 for housebunnies, this seems very expensive to me. As I have always in other areas been able to Board Buns for around £2 per night.

Hope someone can help

Regards

Kate

I checked out Blueberry Warren it will cost me £8 per night for ten nights (£80 :( ) so any other suggestions :idea: would be appreciated, but I'll start saving up just in case :!:
Thanks
Kate

'Ello,

As far as I know they breed bunnies for petshops and none of their rabbits are vaccinated. Last time I visited they had over 300 rabbits and several of them looked poorly. There was a white bun that looked v depressed and close to death, several with suspicious -looking noses/eyes and one with an infected ear.

They are all kept in small hutches stacked high to the ceiling and there is not much air circulating. If any of them do have anything it's sure to be passed on to the rest of them.

When I visited I felt so sorry for all the rabbits, piled high. There were several large breeds in tiny hutches.

You don't want your bun picking up anything while you're on hols. Where in Devon are you?

N xxx

Nicola3 said:
'Ello,

As far as I know they breed bunnies for petshops and none of their rabbits are vaccinated. Last time I visited they had over 300 rabbits and several of them looked poorly. There was a white bun that looked v depressed and close to death, several with suspicious -looking noses/eyes and one with an infected ear.

They are all kept in small hutches stacked high to the ceiling and there is not much air circulating. If any of them do have anything it's sure to be passed on to the rest of them.

When I visited I felt so sorry for all the rabbits, piled high. There were several large breeds in tiny hutches.

You don't want your bun picking up anything while you're on hols. Where in Devon are you?

N xxx

Really? That is awful. I have never been there myself, and certainly won't now. :shock:

Hi :lol:

I only found out about the place when I was trying to find homes for all those RSPCA bunnies that were going to be put to sleep. I contacted the lady who runs the place. The woman who runs it said she would take all the females as long as she was paid a fee for each bunny. I contacted the lady at the RSPCA whom I was trying to help, to tell her the good news, and she told me that she was very familiar with the centre and that it was well known for supplying petshops and there was no way in this world they would let the bunnies go there.

I had to check the place out for myself so I did and that was when I saw all the bunnies piled high :shock: .None of the rabbits are vaccinated and with them in such close proximity to one another it can't be healthy.

Nic x

Bunny boarding

I have a similar problem, I am getting married in Vegas next Christmas day, and need to ensure Charlie is well looked after.

I suggest a new section for bunny boarding, maybe swapsies? even better if this could be split into counties.

As a suggestion for you, and what I normally do is to call the local vets. My local vets has 2 young trainee vetinary nurses who have rabbits themselves. They do house sitting, and pet care to earn extra cash.
Mine asked for £5 a day for a morning feed and afternoon exercise and feed, clean etc. I paid her £7 and asked her to let Charlie accompany her in the house whilst she watched TV etc and to give her more time.

I would pay £10 a day to anyone who could offer Charlie excellent care next Christmas. I live in Cheriton Bishop.

Hi Kate!

How are you these days?

And oi! what d'ya mean £4 per day is expensive? :lol:

I used to board rabbits & I charged £4 per day for a single rabbit (or £2.50 each for two sharing from same family)

Even at that rate anyone would be lucky to make any real money out of it, especially if its done properly.

I think at £2 per day your previous bunny boarders were doing it out of the kindness of their hearts :wink: as you & I know keeping any number of rabbits is labour-intensive, time-consuming & expensive :wink: :lol:

I always used to ask for them to bring their signed vaccination cards when they arrived.

Incidentally i gave up small animal boarding as it was meant to be my full-time job & financially it wasn't worthwhile.

Just a different perspective.... :idea:

PS I love Devon, plenty of sea, countryside & fresh air!! 8)

Hi all,

Thanks for your warnings, I'm in Crediton near Exeter, sorry i've taken so long to answer.

I'm still looking for bunny care.
I too would gladly do swapsies with anyone local

Thanks

Kate

P.S Have pm'd you rabbitthings

Back