• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harvey won't eat bunny basics...advice please

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello,

Harvey doesn't eat much hay, if any, due to him having trouble with his teeth. Harvey is a wild bunny that was involved in a road accident and subsequently this has caused him to have teeth problems . He has to have his molars burred every few months and incisors about every six weeks.

I was advised to try and change his food over to bunny basics as it is high in fibre. I have been trying to gradually introduce the bunny basics to him by following the instructions on the packet and giving him a mix of his old food and the bunny basics. But he just wont touch the bunny basics. He will pick the excel out and leave all the bunny basics. I've tried this for a couple of weeks and he won't touch it. He just picks out the excel and leaves the rest. He will then rather go without.

What can I do? Is there any other food that is high in fibre that he may prefer? I'm really worried that he's not getting enough fibre in his diet. He liked Science selective but it doesn't have as much fibre as the bunny basics. What are the Allen and page rabbit pellets like? They are higher in fibre, I think 23%.

Any advice welcome.

Much love,

Nicola and Harvey xx
harv03.jpg

harv08.jpg
[/b]

Why don't you contact Allen & Page and ask if they can send you a sample, I think they only do quite big bags and you don't tend to be able to pop into a pet shop to buy them so I think it'd be worth asking them to send you some to try.

Can't help with your question but just had to say how cute your bunster looks in the 2nd pic where he's having a wash!! :love:

Hiya. If I were you I would keep Harvey on the food he will eat as you want to make sure he keeps his weight up. My nearly toothless Bun will only eat the most rubbishy Pet Shop cereal mix despite my best efforts to get her onto either Science Selective or Excel :roll: :roll: She has not been able or willing to eat hay for TWO YEARS!! :shock: :shock: When a Bun has special needs due to a chronic physical problem you do have to deviate from the 'rules' re what to feed. If Harvey is maintaining his weight and not getting a dirty Bot :oops: (which would indicate his guts were getting a carbohydrate overload) then I'd say keep him on the Excel. Whatever pellets you give the fibre content wont effect how his teeth wear down. Hay/grass are what is needed and the lil' man probably cant move his jaw in the ways necessary to eat either. My gummy-bunny has coped on the sort of diet I would normally shudder at giving to a Bun. But in certain circumstances the rule book gets thrown out of the window. Surprisingly these special needs bunnies often cope very well on a diet that a 'normal' Bun would do badly on. Harvey is a little star and so lucky to have you to look after him!! :D :D Jane and Buns xx

Hi Jane x,

Thanks for replying. I have been worrying because sometimes his poo has been smaller, hard and dark. I have just read another post on here about 'poo' and it said that this is not normal. He will eat both the junior excel and the science selective. What do you think is best for him? Would it be beneficial to give him a mix of Science selective and excel? The science selective requires more chewing so maybe that would be better for him.

He has a mixture of greens every evening and some carrot three times a week, sometimes he will eat more than others.

He is such a sweetie and I want to do what's best for him. He had lots of fuss this morning before I went to work. He likes the top of his head and ears being stroked and will lower his head onto the floor for fuss. Soon he will be joined by Primrose, a wild female bunny I adopted thru a rescue last year.

I really appreciate all your help,

Nic and the bunnies xxx
harv09.jpg

harv06.jpg

harv08.jpg

harv05.jpg

If Harvey will eat up the Science Selective then you could perhaps give him that rather than the Excel. I say this because I THINK the Excel has a higher SUGAR content than the SS. If Harveys poops go small and hard you could try him on some Dandelion leaves. They are a 'natural' laxative. Also, does he drink from a bottle or bowl. Some bunnies drink more if water is given in a bowl and that too would help keep his guts moving. Mind you the little chap will have to be careful not to tread in a water bowl during one of his mad dashes about he room!! All in all it sound like you are doing a brilliant job with him and if I ever stumble across any info about bunnies with similar problems as Harvey I will be sure to pass them on to you. Jane and Buns xx

Thanks Jane x,

You really are a sweetie!!!! He drinks from a bowl as he doesn't know how to use a bottle, as does my other wild bunny. Moffat my rescue domestic bunny uses a bottle.

I think maybe the science selective is better as sometimes his poo looks just like a junior excel pellet, as if he hasn't really munched it up enough. At least with the science selective he has to munch them up. At the mo he is on a mix of SS and junior excel. I will try and gradually ween him off the excel and pick him some dandelion leaves when I get home ; )

Harvey says thank you very much and big bunny hugs,

Nic n Harvey xxx

harv03.jpg

Back