• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eeyore and his snuffles

houndour

Warren Scout
Thought I'd share my latest terrifying experience with my snuffly Eeyore.

Luckily my fiance was off for the day (wednesday last week) and eeyore didnt touch his food in the morning and then spent all morning sat in the same place (very unusual as he likes to try and escape to the living room). and had lots more snot than usual.

Fiance phoned vet, they said to bring him down at 5pm but if he started to feel cold bring him straight away.

Fiance being all paranoid (thank god) about 20 mins later took them both to the vet. (twiggy too). They then immediately admitted eeyore (and twiggy - altho nothing wrong with twiggy she could keep eeyore company).

Eeyore was given antibiotics, and force fed as he hadn't eaten all day) and the stuff help keep bacteria in tummy that might be killed by antibiotics.

We got a call back to say eeyore might have pnuemonia. My heart just sank and that was it, I was in tears. I thought i was going to lose him and all I could think about was he wasn't even 2 years old and he'd already spent nearly 6 months of his life in a rescue center.

I had a horrible night and I had to wait till 10 am (I took morning off work to actually go and see them). It was such a relief to see him eating and we got to take them home that evening.

Eeyore was very up and down till about Friday night he finally got his character back and got back into attempting to make a run to chew behind the sofa!

Anyway, moral of story, if in doubt take them to vet. If we'd left it it may have gone to his lungs. The other thing is our vet has only recommended us to use antibiotics when things get bad, so he doesnt start to become immune to them. So in that respect he responded to the anytibiotics well.

It's not always easy having a snuffly bunny...I'm in constant worry. I hope he (and twiggy) are leading a happy pain free life.

awww what a worrying experience for you!!!

Good that you took him straight away.

My bun is a snuffle bun (not pasturealla) fortunately, despite being snotty, he has never been phsically ill. Fingers crossed he never will be!

Glad your bun is ok now!

aww how horrible for you all - well done O/H for acting so quickly and I'm glad Eeyore's better now - Never mind his 6 months in rescue, what about all the lovely times he's had with you? I bet he can't wait for summer and all that long grass and sunshine again :)

Back