• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bun's who don't eat all of their soft poo's

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Sorry i have yet another Question regarding my rescue bun Holly.

Holly is slightly tubby and i have reduced her and Alfie's pellet's morning and night to 2 small handfuls in the morning and again at night time. and some veg each. (she just eats greens)

I have noticed in the morning that Holly hasn't eaten all of her soft poos and they are stuck to the newspaper and smell!

Now she can get to her bum but i think it is a struggle for her. It seems that she is eating some but not all.

Is there anything i can do as i know how important it is for buns to eat this?? It also makes a bit of a mess on the newspaper which i have to replace everyday.

She is getting loads of exercise so hoping she will be loosing this weight. I want to get this sorted before the weather get's warmer!

thanks again everyone!

Bonnie

i have the same problem with bump!

she's been on a diet and can reach but last night she had to have a bottom bath!

its almost like she is lazy as she'll do them and leave them or she'll drop them and then scuttle back and eat them from the floor.

she's been on a diet and can reach but last night she had to have a bottom bath!

oh dear!! well Holly's bum does seem clean, sometimes a bit hanging off but when i look again its gone!!

What pellets are being fed? I found that Evo started to have this problem on Excel. A change to SS cured it.

What pellets are being fed? I found that Evo started to have this problem on Excel. A change to SS cured it.

They are both on Excel!! Alfie has always been on Excel. I wonder if i should change then??

would cut out the handful of pellets at bedtime, and just give them 5 each for a treat.

will try this - am scared they'll go hungry, can she have veg as well as??

Squidgy's always had terrible trouble with his bottom :oops: but this has vastly improves since we changed him onto Allen and Page pellets. We feed his 50g a day in his treat ball, and when it's run out he has to eat hay. He does not like this at all! But, he hasn't starved, and we've not had any tummy incidents since (touch wood:wink: )
He also gets greens in the morning and veg/fruit in the evening.

mine are on excel too!

bump gets her dinner in a treat ball (carefully measured) so that she has to work for her dinner.

this has really helped her weight go down.

Hobbes used to do that too. The vet also thought he was overweight so he suggested I cut out pellets altogether which I have done. The rabbits have a selection of veg in the morning and hay available at all times. They won't go hungry if they have hay available. I would definately cut out the pellets in the evening.

right so this is the plan for Alfie - perfect weight and Holly slightly tubby:

- Unlimited hay.

- Two small handful of pellets in the morning, Alfie half a carrot (Holly doesn't like carrots)

- Evenings handful each of greens each. No pellets!

I may even bring Alfie in for ten mins a night for his pellets.

does this sound ok?

Also, i don't know what she was fed on at the rescue, i should have asked really!

yes it could be the greens even, if she never had them in the rescue - my girls only got carrots in rescue, so I started them on greens and grass as if they were babies with just a tiny bit at first.

Is that 2 small handfuls of pellets EACH or between them in the morning?

Does Holly like eating hay? Tia eats more hay now because she just gets a tiny handful of pellets in the morning and a few for supper - but she's a nethie and indoors, so doesn't really need them at all...I wouldn't take them away though as she luuuurves her pellets :D

My other bunnies just get a few for supper in summer, bit more now it's so cold - but it's a good routine to have a few pellets at night because you never have any trouble getting them in then.

Hi Elve,

Its 2 small handfuls between them. not each :D

They both always munch on hay and Holly def loves her food - she makes noises when she eats which is just hilarious!!

Maybe i shuld reduce her greens and take Alfie aside for more greens, i don't want to reduce his food too much.

Thanks

Sounds like you've got a good diet plan :) You could monitor her weight/poop and the reduce the greens if necessary.

You could try hanging the greens up or hiding them so she has to work more for them.

Tam

You could try hanging the greens up or hiding them so she has to work more for them.

Hi Tamsin,

That is a really good idea!!!

Its always hard putting a bun on a diet when there are two of them and the other is a good weight!!

Just to add to previous replies...

That used to happen to Albert and Poppy (although their weight was fine). When I took them to the vets for a check-up I told the vet that they didn't eat all their soft poos and he told me to reduce their food and increase their hay intake.

They now just get a smallish handful of food a day mixed with dried grass to make up their bowl and the rest is hay with a small amount of fresh veg (eg. a leaf of greens, 1/4 carrot or a small slice of apple). Since doing this, I havent seen one stray squishy poo!!!!!

Hope this helps! :D

forgot to say - all my bunnies when 'new' have left the occasional caecal poop uneaten - I think they get unsettled and don't slow down enough to eat them sometimes - especially when they are in luuurve like Holly is :wink:

forgot to say - all my bunnies when 'new' have left the occasional caecal poop uneaten - I think they get unsettled and don't slow down enough to eat them sometimes - especially when they are in luuurve like Holly is

Hi ha...maybe its the butterflies in her tummy from being so in love with Alfie thats affecting her poop's!

i really just get some batteries for my camera!

Mine are on excel and pets at home rabbit museli,they get fresh vegs everyday,which vairies,a mixture of radishes,carrots,brocolli and greens.
Being greens is there fav,they get fed pellets once a day in the morning,and have fresh greens in the afternoon,they seem to be fine on them and i rarely if ever see any soft poos :D

Back