• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

age to start veggies and fruit

You can start to slowly introduce fruits and mostly veggies to a buns diet at about 10-12 weeks. I do think that it is safe to introduce them earlier since my rabbits have all had vegetables available to them their entire life.

the reason veg (wouldn't advise feeding fruit to a rabbit anyway) causes problems with baby rabbits is if they haven't had any with their mum, they will not have the right bacteria to digest it in their stomachs, so it makes them ill.

After 12 or 16wks you can give them a tiny 1" square of one type of veg only - then wait 2 days to see if it upsets their stomach - If they are OK with it then give them another tiny bit of that same veg, not a new one.

After two weeks of gradually increasing the size of the bit of veg, and watching them to make sure they can manage it, you can assume they are OK with that veg, and then slowly introduce another type of veg in the same way.

It's a slow process, but once they've got used to it in this way they have their whole life to enjoy the stuff - If you give them too much, too soon, it can kill them if they get a bad stomach from it, so it's best to be cautious. :)

we had 4 babies in a litter 3 loved veg and one didnt really look interested all had small tiny bits but only the boys liked it the girl wasnt interested until she was 12wks but the boys were happy to munch it at 9wks i have some funny rabbits lol

think the key is start off with a little piece and build up slowly. I made the mistake of giving Toffee and Caramel a bowl of veg when I got them (they were 2 years old), I don't think they were used to having any fresh food cause there was poo everywhere the next morning! :shock:

Why wouldn't you recommend feeding fruit?

My previous bunny loved apples, grapes, banana chips, and those mixtures of dried fruits.

because it's full of sugar and can lead to porky bunnies. Alright in small amounts. I give mine half a carrot or 1/4 of an apple each daily!

Back