• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please... Have had to separate my boys

lynda_m

Warren Veteran
My two boys are being neutered in about 10/12 days time but the thing is, one of them is constantly mounting the other one!

Am having to take one of them out and let him sit with me for a little while to give the other one a rest but as soon as I put them back together we have the same problem.

Its been happening on and off for a week or so now but today has been the worst its ever been!

Any advice on what to do? I really don't want to split them up and the only other thing I can think of is to call another vet first thing tomorrow to see if anyone else can do it sooner.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Lynda, Teddy and Bertie x

I think it takes a while for the hormones to go down after neutering anyway, so even if they were done tomorrow they would still carry on humping - and might hurt themselves post-op too!

Could you give them a teddy to hump instead?

If they're not fighting I guess it's OK, but the danger is that the one being humped will get fed up and turn on the other - or are they both at it like rabbits?

Are you sure they are carrying on like this when you aren't there - it might be something to do with you being there?

Boys will be boys!! :roll: :roll: I would try to get their op's brought forward as they are likely to fight. There really isnt a lot you can do to stop what their hormones are telling them they should be doing :roll: :roll: The fighting is likely to 'kick-off' if one Bun mounts the other and that Bun takes exception to it and nips the 'humper' :oops: The 'Humper' will then get cross.....and frustrated :roll: :roll: and fight back :shock: :shock: I am sure if you explain the situation your Vet will arrange an earlier date for their ops!! Jane and Buns xx

Well, we have removed the humpee and replaced him with a cuddly piggy but he doesn't seem to like him.

Was noticing big lumps of hair being pulled out so I took him out for a bit as I was starting to get worried about them fighting.

Going to have to call a few different vets to see who can get them in the quickest as its not nice for the poor boys, its upsetting me and my sister and her boyfriend think its some kind of joke! :evil:

Didn't know what else to do, Bertie was trying to bite Teddy :cry:

I feel so upset that I've had to do it as they hardly have any space now. Their new cage was supposed to get here Friday and then yesterday and it didn't turn up either time.

Fingers crossed it'll be here tomorrow so they can have some space, and fingers crossed that we can find a vet to get them sorted ASAP.

I had to separate my 2 boys for a week or 2 before their op for the same reason as you. I put them in cages next to each other and let them out to play together for short intervals with me present to separate them!!! They accidently got together the day after their op (I was going to bond them again slowly, but they were cuddled up together in the cage!!!) and were fine after that. So don't panic they may be ok :wink:

Quinn said:
Sorry i cant really offer any advice, just out of curiosity which vets do you use?

Usually go to the one on Broad Lane, had been taking my pets there for years but decided to go to the Pet Vaccination Clinic on Moseley Ave as they were about £15 cheaper than the other vets, and they are much closer to home and easier to get the boys to as I don't drive.

Think tomorrow is going to be a case of whoever can get them in this week, luckily my step dad is off work this week so he can take them in and pick them up if needs be... fingers crossed!

I use the broad lane one too but i usually use their radford road surgery as its closer unless its for an op or something

touie said:
I had to separate my 2 boys for a week or 2 before their op for the same reason as you. I put them in cages next to each other and let them out to play together for short intervals with me present to separate them!!! They accidently got together the day after their op (I was going to bond them again slowly, but they were cuddled up together in the cage!!!) and were fine after that. So don't panic they may be ok :wink:

I hope hey will go back together ok, at the moment they are in the same cage and have some sterdy chicken wire separating them so they can see and smell each other etc. We tried to let them out to have a run of the living room today to see if the freedom would excite them and they'd leave each other alone but Teddy just chased Bertie around constantly!

At the moment, they both seem pretty relaxed and don't seem to be bothered at all so hopefully all will be well!

Quinn said:
I use the broad lane one too but i usually use their radford road surgery as its closer unless its for an op or something

I tend to go to Broad Lane usually as its open later at night and usually have to wait for people to get home from work before we can go!

We must live pretty close to each other then?

Back