• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits with small poops

Trudy

New Kit
Hi I am relatively new to the group and never really posted before.
I have two buns, Penny and Harvey both are rescue bunnies but from different rescues. And I just have the three guinea pigs now, aswell as birds ,cats and a dog.
My problem sometimes is small droppings (well not mine personally, I meant the rabbits) the last time Penny went off her food totally too and because the vets were closed I used some Maxolon a motility drug which was prescribed for another bun , I checked this with the vet and she said it was ok.Any way after a couple of days on the med she was fine and back to normal, then Harvey was the same so I used the meds on him and he too is back to normal. But the only trouble is now I live 1 1/2 hours away from the vets and wanted to keep a supply of this drug at home for emergensies like this but the vet will not give me a supply for this reason unfortunately and as it is a POM I cannot buy else where.
Some one has told me that Lactolouse from the chemist would do the same trick for the rabbit and it is not a POM. As anyone had a ny experience of using Lactolouse? is it save? and what doseage should be used?
Thanks for any information, The rabbits do have plenty of hay a choice of three differnt kinds and pellets, but I am wondering whether having not much exercise with it being Winter and stuck indoors maybe a factor.
Trudy
x

Hi!
Squidgy has this sometimes, and I use kittymalt to get things moving again. I hope someone comes along soon to confirm this is ok. He also gets pineapple juice about once every 10 days, as I was told that it helps to get rid of any ingested hair that may be forming a blockage. Make sure it's frsh pineapple juice thou, not the from concentrate stuff. We freeze it in an ice cube tray and then defrost a cube for him.
What sort of toys do your bunnies have. Squidgy has a treat ball and all his pellets go in it, making sure he gets his exercise and doesn't eat his pellets all at once!

Hiya!! Lactulose IS NOT SAFE TO GIVE A BUNNY!! :shock: :shock: It is a 'bulking agent laxative' and could potentially cause fatal GI problems in rabbits. Maxolon (Metoclopromide) is, as you say, a gut motility agent. But before you administer it you MUST be 100% certain your Bun does not have a GI obstruction. Giving Metoclop' in these circumstances will cause the buns guts to perforate and is FATAL!! :shock: :shock: I am wondering if you could start by looking at why your Buns have GI motility problems...ie treating the cause not the symptom :wink: :wink: Are both Buns good hay eaters :? , What dried mix do they have :? , do they have an adequate fluid intake :? . Healthy GI motility depends on lots of Fibre. And adequate exercise too. I really would not advise use of POM without consulting a vet first.Even if you were given them for another animal and so have them 'on-sight'. A safe oral laxative for a Bun is either Liquid Paraffin or Milpar. Both of which you can obtain OTC at pharmacies. Hope your two buns tums dont give them any more problems!! Jane and Buns xx

You can give her pumkin as is a good source of fibre that can stop this happening, I think it's the canned stuff but I'm not sure, I'd have somebody else confirm this. Papaya and pineapple are also good to give to her if her poops get smaller or she stops pooping all together. Also push the hay and make sure they have a high fibre pellet. Critical care is also good to have on hand if your bun stops eating.
http://www.vetbed.co.uk/smallanimals/critical_care.html

Hiya,
My bunnies used to do quite small droppings, but I have finally managed to get them both eating good amounts of dried grass and lots of fruit and veg and now their poo's are always much bigger. Also I give them a small amount of pellets a few times a day, instead of one big meal. Not sure if that helps.
Good luck!
Nicola x

mine used to have small poops too.. what pellets do you feed them? Also how much pellets do you give to them?
I have changed mine onto Allen and Page pellets which is higher in fibre than what they were on and have also got them to eat more hay as i only give them a small amount of pellets in the evening.. their poops got alot bigger once i sorted this.

Now I'm confused!! :?

Sooty does bigger poos than Holly. Holly does the same quantity of poos as Sooty. They are both fed the same food and the same amount at the same time of day! Holly is a tiny bit bigger than Sooty so why are her poos smaller than Sooty's????

See why I'm confused????? :? :?

Sorry to be graphic :oops: but is it the texture and colour of the poo that's as important as the size? If the poos are small, dark and hard, then there's problem. If they're a goldeny colour and quite crumbly, that's a good thing.
Why are us bunny mums so obsessed with poo?!

touie said:
May be she doesn't eat as much hay as Sooty! :?

If anything she eats more hay than him!! :lol:

They both seem healthy, they've both got wonderful shiny coats and they both poo LOADS!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

In fact I've often thought if I could change each poop into a pound coin I'd have anough money to open a rescue and then I would be loaded with the amount of poop that would create!! :lol: :lol:

Sue&Sooty said:
:lol: :lol: hmmmm.. Sue wonders if she should get the camera out!! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I took a pic of one of treacle's poos last week, it was huge and squidgey! :shock: never did get around to posting it, was going to post it now but must of deleted it :lol:

The size of the rabbit will have some impact too, a giant bunny produces giant poop :D

Smaller then normal, or small and hard rather than full of fibre is not normal :)

Tam

buns with small poops

Thank you so very much to you all for your kind replies and very informative answers to my questions.
I am very shocked at the Lactolouse this was told to me by a bunny rescuer and who runs Bunnymail . And I feel very bad about myself now because I did use it on Tasha who later died of a perforated gut.
I have tried pumkins but no one touched it I just got the look as to say "what do you expect me to do with that"
The dry mix the rabbits have are a mixture of the science sellect pellets and the super excell pellets, they have three kinds of hay inc timothy hay, and veggies.
How much liquid parafin is a save dose to use and how often?
And please can you tell me what Milpar is? One old rabbit book suggested castor oil is this ok to buy? I will also try the kitty malt in future too, but how much is a save dose? I did try the pineapple juice once but the rabbit ended up tith a very sore dewlap due to the drippling when trying to syringe even though I used a towel the rabbit still kept the liquid ready in his mouth to spit out. the vet told me that the pineapple was a bad idea .
Sorry this is a short reply but must go to work , unfortunately working a eleven hour night shift tonight. But thankyou to you all once again
Trudy
Sorry again, just wondered too Penny had a runny eye this evening on coming in, I have bathed it with salt and water and put a bit of brolene eye ointment in and will moitor it, is this ok?
Cheers Trudy xx

Back