• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bronchitis in bunnies

luvabun

Warren Veteran
Dear Old Molly has had a couple of sneezing fits, 2 over the space of a month that I know of ...tiny bit of snot (sorry :oops: ) the first time, none the second. Then the other night, her breathing was "raspy" for a short while so off we went to the Vets. The Vet listened to her chest and said her respiratory rate was quick and gave her Baytril. She mentioned bronchitis. Molls is now in the kitchen, as I felt it was too damp outside despite my attempts to waterproof and draughtproof the hutch. I can't find much info on bronchitis in bunnies.

Hiya. It sounds as though Molly has a bit of infection in her lungs causing inflammation of the Bronchi(sort of little airways carrying air into and around the lungs) hence the term ' Bronch'-itis(inflammation). It is great that you got Molly to the Vet quickly as without treatment a Bun with a lower respiratory tract infection can get very sick very quickly. Hopefully the Baytril will address the infection and you might like to ask your vet for some medication to help open up Molly's airways,a Bronchodilator, or maybe an anti-inflammatory to try to reduce the inflammation caused by the infection. I think you did the correct thing bringing Molly indoors. She will need all her energy to fight the infection so doesn't want to have to 'waste' energy keeping herself warm. Good ventilation is important and if Molly is now in a centrally heated room a humidifier near her living area may help. Central heating tends to dry out the atmosphere. A dry atmosphere can be an irritant to a buns respiratory tract. Also incouraging Molly to have a good fluid intake will help. So if she is used to fresh Veg then great!! If you do not think Molly's breathing has improved after a few days on treatment I would take her back to the vets as a different antibiotic may be needed. Finally if you see Molly breathing through her MOUTH or if she appears to be stretching her neck up/forward it is ESSENTIAL that you get her IMMEDIATE veterinary attention. Hopefully Molly will be back to full health soon. You will need to keep her indoors til the Spring though as she wont be able to cope with the cold now she has been indoors for a while. Please let us know how Molly gets on. Jane and Buns xx

Thanks guys and special thanks to Jane for the comprehensive reply :thumb: She is drinking more now she's in the kitchen. We're back at the Vets tomorrow afternoon anyway - will keep you posted. She's not bad for 12, bless her.

Back