• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering

cazza

Mama Doe
im wanting to get choco neutered but for some reason i am really nervous about taking her, with the cats i was fine, i think its because its more risky for a bun.
i have rung the local vets4pets and its £51. they bed them away from cats and dogs so she wont be scared, give her a slow release pain killer to come home via injection, they have said they do a few buns. i have asked them so many questions

ohh what do i do as i would hate for anything to happen to her.

caz

I know exactly how you feel, I have two buns one male the other female felt awful taking them both in! I onlyhad the girl done on wednesday i'm very happy with my vet and how she would be treated yet still came out with a tear in my eye after dropping her off!

Then spent the whole day worrying about her! It is definatley worthwhile getting them done for longterm health but also for behavioural reasons.

The vet sounds good as long as you are happy then i'd go with them, may also be useful to find out what kind of stitches they use internal or glue are best so your bunny cant pull them out.

Just to reassure you my bun is now two days post op and doing fine she is loving the extra attention and so am i as she is givingme lots of hugs and licks!

Hope you work something out

Charlie

My little guy storm is getting done next Tuesday and I'm also very worried, even though Gypsy was fine after her spay.
I will still spend the whole day worrying about storm on tues!
He went for his pre op check up today and also had his myxi jab, he was so good!
Finding out what stitches they use is a good idea

My boys are getting done on the 19th, I'm really nervous too, and I think I will cry when I drop them off... But I have a lovely trip to the dentist on the same day so I'm sure that'll take my mind off the worry for an hour or so!

I cried when i took Alfie in and cried even more when he chewed his stitches out!!

Need to get Holly done and VERY nervous about that (such a wimp) will be waiting until the weather gets warmer for that though...

I've got Kahlo booked in.... although not until February when my O/H is on half term so that we can be sure that someone is home 24/7 to keep an eye on her.....

I'm petrified.... I remember waiting to hear that Wokky was okay when we got her done and the time from 8.30 to 3 seemed like forever.... But I know that Kahlo needs to be done.... it might stop her growling at me when I try to get her out from under the tv to go to bed every night!

yea the wait is bad and Penny decided to make it last just that extra bit longer when I rang at 2 she was still asleep! then at 5 not eating and then at 6:20 not pooing! I was going out of my mind and so was denzal waiting at home for her! He decided he wouldnt eat aswell !! So then I had the two to worry about!

In the end the vet said I could take her home as long as I checked on her and took her back to be checked teh next day. We decided this would be the best for all of us!

And now penny is doing fine, certainly well worth the worry. Its not nice at the time but would def recommend having it done.

Charlie

It is scary, but I think if you choose a vet who is experienced with rabbit anaesthetics you will be much happier about it.
Im real fussy about what vet gets to look at my rabbits!
Maybe see if anyone on here knows a good bunny vet near you?

Hi,
i have Lola and Mischa booked in for their spays on Monday, only mischa won't be getting done as she has been sneezing and on antibiotics. lola is really needing her op as she has become a handful recently, spraying her pee everywhere and trying to mount Mischa! Mischa hasn't been as bad with her hormones. i had Moet done at the same vet last year and everything went ok even tho she pulled some of her stitches out! Meanwhile i am going to be at the dentist getting some fillings so this will take my mind off lola's op as i'm the world's worst when it comes to the dentist!

:shock: I didn't know females also sprayed!. Gypsy just went crazy and destructive and also kept building nests ( in my bed!) and chasing poor Bilbo around ( who was very old and just wanted a quiet life!) Thankfully her spay went well and she's a lot calmer :D
like i mentioned, Storm is getting done next week and I am very nervous. It has do be done though as he's driving me mad with his pee spaying! and poor Gypsy is fed up with being chased!

Hi, I have also got my two baby boy lops booked in next friday, the 13th,so they reminded me! Was really worried when I took my other boy in same time last year. What a long day eh? But he was fine and soon got over it. Just rotten when you know it is getting nearer. You keep looking at them and it makes you get all butterflies in your stomach. Still I know they have to be done as they live together and don't want them to start fighting. They are best of friends now and don't want that to change. Good luck to all you buns and bunny mums who are waiting for the appointments to come. Pam.

gil said:
i had Moet done at the same vet last year and everything went ok even tho she pulled some of her stitches out!
I would be inclined to ask your vet if they could stitch her intra-dermally (I think that's what it's called). Basically they sew them up from the inside so there are no stitches on the outside to pull at! I would imagine it takes a bit longer to do but it will eliminate the possibility of this one pulling her stitches out too.

thanks everyone for your replies i am going to ring the vets tomorrow and ask how they will stitch her.

i use the same vet for my cats and they came up on the small and fury vet search from on this site.

i cant believe how nerve wracking it is

thanks again

caz

Back