• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed: How to reintroduce a bunny

Mad_cat_rabbit

Warren Scout
Just before Xmas my Rupert (the white bun) as seen below......

ca7b9548.jpg

..... was poorly (with an unknown problem??). He lost rather a lot of weight in a relatively short time frame. On the advice of the vet, Rupert was seperated and brought in doors to try and monitor his condition and weight gain. Now nearly 3 weeks later he is back up to a nearly normal size and weight, he's getting bored and wants to play out with the other bunnies. He hates Hermione the house bun with a passion, yet she loves him.

How will he react when put back with the others?
Is it going to be like bonding all over again?
Are their any short cuts?

I would advise to reintroduce exactly them together exactly how you would introduce them the first time they were paired up. On neutral territory etc on a day you have plenty of time and do not separate them once they seem ok together.

You will probably find that this time will be easier, however it is always a good idea to foresee the worst scenario and be on your guard just in case.

Janice

My big problem is finding somewhere neutral to let 5 bunnies get to know Rupert again. Rupert was part of a bonded group of 6 before he got ill.
Gosh only knows how I'm going to do this one.

I had to remove Maa from a group of 5 but she won't be going back as she's a bit too frail to cope with 'the rough bunch' even though she's recovered from her op now.

The problem is that Maa was the boss, being mum, but now it's Primrose - so I'm assuming that if Maa goes back in with the group she'll not acknowledge Primrose as boss, and that's when the fighting will start.

If you can figure out who's the boss maybe you should try Rupert with that bunny first in a neutral area?

Or chicken out like I have and keep him as a house bunny for ever? :?

Rupert came 5th out of the 6 bunnies in the pecking order, so he was not the dominant male.

Can't keep him inside as the House bunny loves him but he ABSOLUTELY hates her with a passion I've never seen in him before.

Just wanted him back with the rest of the crew ASAP as he looks all sad and lonely on his own.

Back