• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mrtcharity: Chat room idea, please see if you can do this

Mr T

Warren Scout
Hi all, to make discusions easier I have created a room on something called IRC, this is like a chat room, it allows multiple users to connect to a room and talk (via keyboard) real time, great for a number reasons.

go to http://www.mirc.com/get.html and pick a location to download from

Install the software. (no spyware ect)

Once installed it will pop up a small window asking you to register, you do not have to so don't...
click on the cross and close this small window
it will then ask you to setup Mirc options
setup.gif

IRC networks should be on all, the box below
Click on it and then click edit (on the right of the box)
Leave all the boxes as they are or add your own discription, but in IRC Server put uk.quakenet.org
Then click ok
all you need then to do is fill in is your nick and alternative nick at this point
make up a name for real name and email address.. dont use your proper ones
Click on connect to server
After a short wait (up to 20 seconds) you will see some meaningless blurb appear in the status window.
The last line will say something like "End of MOTD command".

You are now connected to an IRC server, but you need to connect to a channel, hopefully ours...

If you click Add you can add our channel to the list
So in the channel box type #bunnieuk, click the tick box join on connect.
click ok.
there should now be #bunnieuk on the list deselect the tick box pop up on start up. then highlight #bunnieuk and click join.

See you there, ignore any of the odd names in there, we are currently setting up the room for our use.
you should now join #bunnieuk, I will be on there as Mr-T

Hi Shaun,

Really great idea you've had, and I've been reading with interest. Although I don't have any knowledge of charities, and so cannot be of any use in that way, I thought people might find it easier to access IRC via a Java client.

I have knocked up a (quick) page here which should simplify things for people trying to access (it auto connects to the correct channel). :)

http://www.thebunnyshed.co.uk/IRC/IRC.php

Jeremy said:
Eh!? :?

That was me postin. For some reason it let me post as a guest! :shock: :lol:

Ooooh err - I knew it was you but I wondered why you where a guest :shock: Methinks we are going to need that new software installed soon :lol: :lol: :lol:

oo thanks jeremy good plan.

Come on guys... its great fun come see what live chat is all about :shock:

I keep getting undefined string
so looked it up on the help button, this is what it said, I am not getting the popup to allow me to RUn the programme

Why do I get Undefined String?
The reason you get that message is very simple. It is because the applet cannot read the language files.

There are two files needed.

english.lng for the applet

pixx-english.lng for the GUI

Here are the most common reasons why.

The web server you are using will not allow you to use files with odd extensions like '.lng.'

How to fix this:

Change the files with .lng extensions (english.lng, french.lng, pixx-english.lng, pixx-french.lng) to have .txt extensions and add these parameters to the page that contains the chatroom:

<param name="pixx:lngextension" value="txt">

<param name="lngextension" value="txt">

On some servers you might need to change the extensions to .gif or .jpg

Alternatively if you run the server you can register .lng as a text/plain mime type.

You are running your applet from a codeblock on a PHP gateway, or a remote host, or for some other reason your applet doesn't know the path to it's own files.

The applet naturally thinks it's in the folder the calling page is hosted from.

How to fix:

Use absolute paths to the location of the applet and all it's files. This is usually accomplished by setting the codebase parameter.

<applet name=PJirc codebase=http://www.myweb.com/applet/ code=IRCApplet.class archive="irc.jar,pixx.jar" width=640 height=400>

You can also add the path to the language & other files to ensure they get found

<param name="pixx:language" value="/appletpath/pixx-english">

<param name="language" value="/appletpath/english">

You just didn't upload all the files. This and typos are the most common errors.

Fix:

Upload all the files. Straigthen up the spelling mistakes.

WRONG!

<param name="pixx:language" value="pixx:english.txt">

RIGHT!

<param name="pixx:language" value="pixx-english">

Only one of the language files is being used.

You forgot to apply read permissions to the files.

Coo, well researched Denny, I'll take a look. :D

BTW what browser are you using? Internet Explorer?

Back