• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding and trust

I've had my babies for just over two weeks. Not long at all, I know. I was wondering if you guys had any advice on how to bond with them and gain their trust. I've been spending time with them letting them get used to my sent. Letting them come up to me. They take treats out of my hands and all. I'm just hoping I can get them to trust me enough to get cuddly and affectionate. And they're only 5 months old.

So I was just wondering what worked for you guys and about how long it took. Thanks!

well I've had Smirnoff a year & we still haven't bonded! We seem to have an understanding though! I hand-fed (with pellets/veg) a couple of mine when I first got them, & they're quite tame. Joey bites holes in your jeans & Caramel is guaranteed to come bounding over whenever I get home from work. Alfie sleeps on my knee -but that's just Alfie! The baby girls were orphans from a few days old, so they are human-friendly anyway.

cuddly and affectionate doesn't apply to any of my bunnies - I think because I adopted them all when they were older and already bonded to another bunny - I'm just their willing slave!

The single older bunnies I have like a good stroking session, but they still don't like being picked up - it's a bunny no-no :roll:

I think your best bet for a cuddle bunny is a baby male, who will then bond with you as his partner - but watch out when his hormones kick in at about 5 months as you may receive a special love gift (wee in your face :? )

:lol: wee in the face sounds familier right now!! naughty little storm!!. Gypsy was very nervous when I rescued her. She'd had no human contact at all and even a hand coming towards her ( even if I held a treat!) scared her. I had to spend ages in my bedroom ( where she has free-range) just keeping very still. In the end curiousity got the better of her and she's come for a sniff. She also followed Bilbo, who was my lovely big tame boy bun. It took time, but Gypsy got to trust me, just don't attempt to grab your buns or do anything that might scare them as they do remember!. Gypsy sleeps on my bed next to me now! :lol: but still hates being picked up. If you spend a lot of time on your bunnies level it helps, a lot of buns hate it if you lean over them.

One of our buns Olly was originally an outdoor bun, but I was so determined that I wanted him to bond with me and be comfortable with being handled that I made a point of going out to spend at least half an hour or so every day holding him and having snuggles. Eventually that moved on to him having snuggles indoors and being allowed to run around indoors for a while in the evenings. He's been a house bun for over a year now and initially would love to sit on either end of the sofa and have his ears stroked while he licked the sofa arm furiously. If you laid on the floor with him and tipped your head to the side he would come and sit with you and lick your face for ages. Despite all that - he's never been happy sitting on your lap...it's almost as though you can have all the affection you want but on his terms and with him having the freedom to get up and walk away whenever he chooses.

Unfortunately since we had him neutered, his shows of affection have changed. Face-licking is now only once in a blue moon, but hand-licking has taken it's place.

I would suggest you take as much time as you can / are prepared to spend with them and encourage whatever shows of affection they give - however they show it.

Phoebe (our newer bun) doesn't show big signs of affection at all like Olly - but rub her nose and she'll flop out on the floor for anyone. Well - unless eating my sofa, bag and wallpaper are signs of affection! :lol:

I used to let my bunny out and then sit there with him but he never really came up to me much or anything so i layed down. When I layed down he ran up to me and sniffed me and after letting him do that everyday now he runs around me and climbs on me. Rabbits are pray animals and you will find that they will always prefer it if your at their level and not looking down on them (even if you are sitting down) they feel more comfortable.

toffeepudding said:
I used to let my bunny out and then sit there with him but he never really came up to me much or anything so i layed down. When I layed down he ran up to me and sniffed me and after letting him do that everyday now he runs around me and climbs on me. Rabbits are pray animals and you will find that they will always prefer it if your at their level and not looking down on them (even if you are sitting down) they feel more comfortable.

i would be too paranoid that quinn would come up and bite me - but then im a wimp maybe i need to make myself do it as quinn is a bit nervy and doesnt really show any affection

Marlon has been a friendly and affectionate little boy since the day I got him so I lucked out there.
Bella on the other hand is a lot more shy.
She seems to enjoy cuddles once I've got a hold of her but the rest of the time she prefers to keep her distance.
She likes nose rubs and normally sticks her head out to have some too if she sees Marlon getting them but isn't always as bold when it's just her.
Mostly I just get down on the floor with them and let them come to me, that normally means I get some kisses from Marlon too so it's worth it even if Bella does hop off and hide.

Back