• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adding more buns??!!!

KerinTravis

Mama Doe
:D :D Just a quickie!! When I (eventually) move out, the first thing I want to do is to get two more buns. Thing is, I've been having sneaky peeks at one's up for adoption, but I don't know what I should be looking for... :? (apart from 2 big ears and a tail obviously!!! :oops: )

I have two bonded buns already, one male, one female (both neutered). So Should I be looking for another bonded pair like this, or two males/two females? :? Which combination would be best - all spayed obviously :wink: . But is it best to have more males than females, or vice versa, or is an even amount best. I would love to have them all indoors, so they would hopefully *crosses fingers* all be bonded to be together, anyone have any experience of this?? :? I've read about bonding more than 2 buns, but it always talks about how to introduce tham in terms of dominance rather than suitable sexes :roll:

Any help or ideas, greatly appreciated!!!! :D

buns.jpg

What kind of temperament do your bunnies have? I started off with a male and female pair. The male, Hobbes, is very friendly and likes other bunnies but my female, Phoebe, is stroppy and only likes Hobbes. I tried introducing them to another female, Amber, but Phoebe wouldn't be friends with her. I decided to get Amber a boyfriend instead and keep the two couples separately.

Travis is happy so long as he has me!!! :lol: Treacle is madly in love with Travis, which is why I was thinking of getting a pre-bonded pair!!! :? So that she doesn't get jealous or feel threatened, but having said that she's lived with other rabbits before I had her with no problems, and she doesn't get jealous of me, she may actually enjoy having another bun if they pay more attention to her cos Travis doesn't!!!! :lol:

This is why it's so difficult to decide what to do!! :shock: My theory was that by getting another 2 rabbits the attention would be split, whereas like you say getting one more female or male could cause all of the attention to go onto one bun, ie two females fighting for Travis or two males fighting for Treacle.

buns.jpg

The best thing to do is take them both down to a rescue home and let them choose for themselves. They can be really funny about making new friends so this would be the safest option.

I think the reason that references to this talk about dominance rather than which sex is more suitable is because that is more important - it really makes no difference which sex you choose - their individual personalities are what will make or break it :)

elve said:
I think the reason that references to this talk about dominance rather than which sex is more suitable is because that is more important - it really makes no difference which sex you choose - their individual personalities are what will make or break it :)

I agree! I let Smirnoff chose his new girlfriend at a Rescue & now they live separately cos after about 3 weeks they started to fight constantly. I actually ended up bonding him with Joey who is a complete wus.

I now have 2 neutered males & a female bonded in one group (female is getting spayed today), & 1 neutered male & a spayed female half-bonded (it's going well! - but still supervised only, she's been difficult before) in another group. I then have two little lion-head girls (unspayed - too young) bonded to both groups so they are loose all the time.

Cracker is my single male - in for neutering today. I don't see him fitting into the 2 groups cos he's quite dominant & both groups have an Alpha male already. Which means - I get to get another bunny-girlfriend for him!!

Back