• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Curly Nails

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Nala had very long nails when i first got her. I trim them regularly, although as they are a dark brown colour it is hard to keep them very short as i cant see the blood vessel.. however they are kept as short as i dare :wink: When she arrived in March her long nails were all twisted and i thought once they had regrown the correct length that they would eventually straighten out but they are still twisted sideways. It doesnt seem to bother her at all... im just intrigued as to whether they will ever straighten out. They almost feel loose when u move them with your fingers. She also has 2 nails, one is her last nail on her left foot(equivalent to your little finger) and the other is her thumb on her right foot.. that are so very very short there is just a stump. These were like this when i first got her but have never regrown. :?

Squidgy's are like that because of lack of care by previous owners. I asked the vet if there's anything to do about it, and he said that basically they will always be like that. It doesn't seem to bother Squidgy. One of his is really thick, and a couple of them wobble around :shock:

aaah right what a shame that they will never grow straight :? At least i know now that someone else's bunny has twisted nails.
Toffeepudding.. she scratches herself as normal and she does have a dig occasionally but not loads.

I've often wondered about a bun with twisted nails as we see them quite lot in the rescue :?

I had a netherland dwarf called Bruce, who, on his back left foot, one of the end bones on one of his nails was completely detached. (basically, the end bone of the 'toe' holding the nail wasn't attached to the actual foot!) You could feel it and move it about...the bone was completely detached :shock: He had it when I got him, and took him to the vets straight away. The vet admitted the joint wasnt attached, but as it wasn't causing him any bother, it wouldnt be worth putting him under an op for it.
Which was true, it didn't bother him in the slightest.

The worse thing was the nail still grew as the other nails, so I still had to clip it :?
Used to make me sooo queezy :? :? :? :oops:

My Lop Rita, who is a rescue bunny has curly nails too, she wasn't very well look after before I had her ..... I was also hoping they would straighten up.... oh well they don't seem to bother her, but I have to admit it did bother me when I found one of her nails on the floor (URGH!!) :x

I have just taken 3 piggies in, one of them had 3 nails on one of his front legs which actually were entwinded with each other :twisted: I have clipped them as best as I can but they are still not right. Like rabbits they will always be twisted but with time a little of it will untwist.

Janice

Back