• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

joint problems and bunny insurance??

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
well now i have 3 bunnies(soon to be 4!) i was wondering if it would be worth me getting insurance for any of them? my two new little guys, Tiny Tim and Errol, suffered with jointil(sp?) when they were younger and so obviously still have joint problems now which makes them more prone to getting arthritis. would it be worth me getting these boys insured? or just do the usual and save a bit each month?

i was also wondering if anyone had any further info on jointil or joint problems in bunnies? id like to learn as much as i can about their problems so i can be fully prepared. they are such special little guys and a real credit to Jane and how well she cares for all of her bunnies-they are such stars! :D

I don't imagine insurance would cover the joint problems as it's an existing problem. You'd probably be better off putting some aside yourself each month, as insurance works out quite high when you have several animals

Ive repeatedly looked into insurance. Unfortunately with buns the liklihood of being able to cover anything is remote. Teeth are not covered adn neither are existing problems. So seeing as you know theres joint problems you wouldnt be covered, and even if you pretended that you didnt know until after the cover, they would then claim that its an existing problem.
I think your best bet is having a bunny bank. I put £20 per month in mine, which is next to nothing really, and it really does help out when it comes to vet bills....
I think pet insurance is a bit of a con.

thanks for the replies. i thought as much, that it wouldnt really be worth it. think i might open an account just for the animals to save some money in....oh hang on-thats what my account is for anyway :roll: :lol:

i had jack insured when i got him and he never had any problems but after 18 months ive cancelled the policy and worked out it would be cheaper to pay for the treatments its about £15.00 a month and id rather pay for the treament myself :lol: :lol: probably be cheaper!

Back