• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How much does it cost.....

There is probably so much variation it would be difficult to give you an idea - some vets may just charge a few pounds (I reckon mine would charge £8.70 ish which is their minimum consultation fee) others will probably charge you a whole normal consultation fee which could be around £20 or so. Your best bet would be to ring them up and ask :D

When I get sophies done, I usually do it when she has her vaccinations and they dont charge me extra :D

I take the guineas to have theirs done and its £3.00 :D

I've got them to do Niamhs before during vaccinations and they've not charged me!!!

Usually they have a standard fee that covers a full check up and doing anything that needs to be done like clipping the nails. I'm not much help with the actual price though coz I'm in a dif country.

Amy you could also ring your local RSPCa and see if someone there would do it for you and show you how to do it. It would differ from centre to centre but some would be happy to do this..or a local bunny rescue who would help you do it....just an idea :D

My vets has a sign up saying that nail-clipping (and various other things) can be done by the vet nurse for a much cheaper rate than if you get the actual vet to do it (about £4.50 I think...).

Whoever does it ask if they will show you how to do it, as its not hard once you've got the confidence about what you're doing and it will save you a few bob!

I do all mine myself but my Vets only charge a couple of pound as I took 9 buns in as I was waiting for my new nail clippers and I was only charged £10 for the lot.

After I struggled with Smirnoff's the other day, I spoke to my vet & he said if I was bringing my other bunnies in (I got a spay & a neuter this week) he would do the clipping for free.

Will get Smirnoff's checked anyway, think they should be shorter, but didn't want to hurt him.

Mine do it free of charge at a checkup or with their vaccinations, it's probably worth going the once to get them to show you how to do it and you can do it yourself :D

Skye hates getting hers done so when she was in getting neutered I asked the vet to do them too.... it cost an extra £15!! I think I was ripped off compared to what some of you guys pay.

If you havew a rabbit rescue near you, you could ask if they do nail clipping. We do it for people who ask us and we usually get a donation which is greatly appreciated.

bunnyhuggger said:
If you havew a rabbit rescue near you, you could ask if they do nail clipping. We do it for people who ask us and we usually get a donation which is greatly appreciated.

Hiya Lynda :D yes we offer a nail clipping service here at the Sanctuary too :)
It is another way of raising funds for the bunnies, and we get quite a lot of nail clipping requests over the year.. :wink: The clippers keep wearing down though :? , they have a lot of work to do with all the Sanctuary bunnies needing sorting regularly!! :roll: :lol:
Luckily Tamsin sent us some new ones as part of the Christmas box of goodies, so they are much appreciated :)

ITs not that i cant do it myself because with millie its no problem but how would i do brambles with his nails being so dark.. i cant see the quick?

You could try getting someone to help you hold Bramble and then shine a torch under the nails.That way you should be able to see the quick.

Do it yourself. Find a sunny day, hold his feet under the sun, you can see the blood line, cut beyond that.

If his nail is dark, and you can't see anything, the way I do it is whenever I feel his nail starts to form the curve shape, I'll cut down just a little bit at the top, that way, it won't reach the bloodline, and I just do it once every 3 weeks.

If it gets too long, they will snap it at the root, causes bacteria infection at the root. And that's bad.

Back