• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to SEARCH!!!

sarsimp

Mama Doe
Ok, I know am one of the oldest and thickest young ladies on here, but can anyone run me through how to do a search - I have tried many times and just end up wading through loads of posts and getting nowhere :oops:

Thankyou - youre assistance will be the equivilent to helping me across the road :lol:

Click the Search link at the top of the page.
You then type in any keywords into the text box. There's two tick boxes underneath. The first one (Search for any terms or use query as entered) means that it will search for any of the words, but not necessary all of them. Example, if you typed in "rabbit wet grass" to find out if wet grass was OK for a rabbit, it would show posts that had the word rabbit in them, posts that had the word wet in them, AND posts that had the word grass in them. So you'd get lots of posts that weren't related.
However, if you did the above search and ticked the second box (Search for all terms), any results would have to have all 3 words in the post, so it would be a bit more specific.
The first one can be useful though. If you were searching for something but you weren't quite sure what it would come under, you could put several possible words in and it would show all the posts with any words you've entered. For example, if you didn't know the name of flystrike and wanted to find out more about it, you could put "fly maggot eggs", and it would show up a variety of posts having one (or more) of those words in it. You may also get some non-related posts (e.g. randomly..something about chicken eggs!) but it will cut down the number of posts to wade through.
Hope that helps!

yes that's how I do it - tick the 2nd box - like when I wanted the treatments for head abscesses - I remembered that Adele had done a post with lots of info in about this, but I couldn't remember when or what it was called except something about being frustrated with her vet...So I put 'frustrated' in the first line and put Adele in as the author - and got that topic as the result :)

Back