• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to put a bun on a diet...

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
I rescued Holly 3 days ago and bonded her with my bun. They are getting on great!

Alfie is at a good weight and has always had plenty of exercise. Holly is slighly tubby and finds it difficult to clean her bum. She is in a big double hutch with run attached plus supervised runs in the garden.

I want her to loose some weight as its hard for her to eat her poos.

How should i go about this bearing in mind alfie is at a god weight??

I put 2 handful of pellets in a day and they are finished by the end of the day and i then put a futher large handful in..shall i reduce this?? Also what about veggies? maybe i could give them pellets fpor brekkie and veggies for dinner??

Thanks!

well she shouldn't lose weight fast, just like us hoomans - I'm sure she'll be getting more exercise with Alfie to run around with now, so it will slowly shift - does she like eating hay?

Obviously if she can't clean her poops up she's at risk of flystrike once spring comes, so you will have to check her regularly and keep her clean.

I would cut out the evening pellets, or just give 5 or 6 pellets each for a bedtime treat, which is what mine get.

with veg, only carrots are fattening really - greens are fine, so limit carrot to a couple of inches chunk a day each :)

thanks Elve - will folow your advice! Alfie and Holly have been racing around the garden so won't be long before she gets nice and trim!!

Back