• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Christmas baby buns!

big-si

New Kit
My wife and I, being fairly new to keeping rabbits, were sold two female bunnies (Bella and Charlie) by our local pet shop. Unfortunately Charlie turned out to be a boy, and even though we got him castrated as soon as we found out, on Christmas eve my wife discovered a litter of gorgeous kittens!

We telephoned our vet who gave us advice on how to care for them etc, but we now have a few question we'd like help with.

Bella and Charlie share a garage, where they had a two storey hutch. During the day they had access to a rabbit proof garden. When Bella gave birth she attacked Charlie, so we bought him his own hutch and separated them. Since then we've allowed them to exercise in the garage separately for two hour intervals, locking them both in at night.

Today, we reintroduced them together in the garden and they bonded again immeadiately!

We've tried to disturb the babies as little as possible, we think there are between 6 and 8. One died on Christmas day, we think Bella took him from the nest because he was either sick or she had too many to care for.

Our long term plan is to let them go homes that can provide better care for them than we can, or if we can't find enough homes, we will keep them (yes, we've considered the cost of neutering/feeding/vacinations etc - scarey, but we'll manage).

It's been a hard and worrying week, but today the kittens are a week old and all look healthy. Our main worry has been keeping them warm. They've been in the garage, in the upstairs bedroom of their hutch, three duvets over the hutch and a hot water bottle between the roof and the duvets. Bella, dispite being only 5 months old has taken to motherhood really well.

So to any of you who have been in this position before, we'd love advice on the following....

-What's the earliest Bella can be neutered - we don't want any insestuous relationships between mother and sons.

-The kittens are seven days old. Their bedding is currently moist (not damp or wet) but the kittens are warm. We've carefully changed some of the hay surrounding their nest, but when can we replace the majority of the hay in the nest?

-Should we move them - they are in an upstairs bedroom and when they do venture out, we don't want them to fall down the stairs and not be able to get back up? If we should move them, should this be either downstairs (no bedroom area) or to our other single storey hutch and if so at what age?

-Are the kittens at risk from their father. So far today, he's stood at the bottom of the stairs peering up, so he obviously knows they're there. This didn't seem to bother Bella. If we did allow him contact, obviously for the first few times this would be supervised. Should we just trust Bella to protect her babies?

Sorry there's so many questions but we're new to all this and would hate to make a mistake which harmed these beautiful kits!

thanks

hi

I would leave the nest well alone till they actually come out, and start venturing round the cage, you need to make sure that they cant fall down ramps or anything and to be honest I wouldn't let the buck near them as he could kill them,

Mum will do all the hardwork with them and I think she can be spayed once they are weaned at about 8wks

You will need to make sure that all the males and females separate and ensure dad can't get to them

I am sure people will answer later

Elaine

Right, well, for one I would not allow the father to have access to the babies. Either he will kill them, or mum will get stressed by him being there and kill them/abandon them herself.
I would block the stairs off until old enough to cope with them, say 4/5 weeks old. They will start venturing out the nest at 2-3 weeks.
The nest will be moist, mine have just been this age and yes it was moist also. I left it until they started venturing out, and replaced it slowly so as to not destroy their scent totally. You will notice when they start using the nest less, although mine are now 5 weeks and still go and sleep together where the nest used to be.
Regarding mother and son matings, you won't need to worry. Babies can come away from mum at 7/8 weeks. The babies should then stay together in the same hutch as they were born in to minimise stress until about 10 weeks (in short, move the mum at 7/8 weeks).
I would be more concerned as to the buck and doe mating again, if it has not been 6 weeks from the castration he can still be fertile.
Increase the mums food to around 1 and 1/2 times what she had. Then double rations or even ad-lib when the kits start nibbling. "Calcivet", a calcium supplement in her water wouldn't go a miss either as she is young and has had such a big litter.
Hope this has helped a little.

yes please make sure the male is seperate doe's can mate 24 hours after giving birth but not with her babies. being so young none will try to mate with her leave mum with them until 7/8 weeks when mine had her babies when they were six weeks and running about i let mum have some time alone to run about and have a break and put her back with the babies she seemed quite happy but make sure that mum isnt stressed at all as she may harm her young at the smallest thing, your lucky to have alarge litter first time when they are older please post a piccie!

Thanks both for your replies.

Calcium suppliment is an idea we wouldn't have thought of - thanks.

Charlie was castrated over 4 weeks ago, we were told to keep them apart for 4 weeks. Seems sensible to keep them separated for an extra 2 weeks to be safe.

Not nice to think that Charlie (who's a lovely rabbit) could kill his kids, will keep them apart though. Does anyone think we would ever get him to bond with his offspring?

Not going to be easy to keep Bella calm tonight with all the new years eve fireworks - they've started already!

Forgot to say on original posting, we obviously had an idea Bella might be pregnant, but didn't like the idea of getting her neutered and aborting any potential litter. Thought long and hard about being able to provide a happy home for up to 10 kittens, but know we could do it. Hopefully we won't live to regret this, but having seen the kittens, we think we made the right decision.

Already had a couple of offers of homes from friends who've had previous rabbit experience. Glad I read somewhere on this site that snake owners like free rabbit kittens. Will vet any potential homes very carefully!

Anyway, any further advice would be gratefully received.

Will post pictures of babies in a few weeks.

Happy new year all.

Simon, Nikki, Bella, Charlie + gang

Can't offer any advice I'm afraid, I am in awe of what you are doing though. I wish you all well, you have a new huge family! I remember my Mum bred bunnies when I was a child and piggies and it was amazing to see new life. I really do hope all continues to go well, you are doing a very kind thing in my view.

What a lovely surprise for Christmas day :)
Similar thing happened to me but I didnt know Pip was a boy til after the kits were born :oops:
Mostly I think mum looks after the litte'uns with very little help from us!
There have been loads od posts on this matter on here - I'll have a quick look and see if I can find some for you

Mum will need at least 4 weeks after weaning before she can be neutered as her mammary tissue needs to go down as the operation site is between her teats.
She could also do with a few weeks to put some weight back on and recover from mother hood.

Good luck with rehoming them :D

I dont really have any advice. But i hope they all are ok and hope you have no problems with therm, btw piccies please :lol:

Back