• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight gain for a spur-prone bun?

Karly

Banned
My little Mary has always been on the small side, and has suffered with teeth problems almost all of his life with me. I assume he is a fairly young bun (about 3) but as I don't know his lineage, I'm not 100% - he got given into the petshop I used to work in when the 'breeder' gave up, along with 3 or 4 girly buns (all in together!). He was rather frisky but I didn't hear of any of the girl buns having babies so there's the possibility they were a young litter and not at the right age, so I estimated his age at about 6 months just so I had a rough guide.
None of his sisters had teeth problems (I checked them all after taking Mary home myself and finding out he had misaligned incisors), but being a Netherland Dwarf I suppose he was more prone to it. Not long after having his incisors removed, we found out he also had molar spurs.
With some fine tuning, I've worked out a diet that gives his molars maximum wear - he's not had to have a dental since March, whereas he was having a few done within months of each other at the beginning of the year. He gets a small handful of pellets in the evening, and the rest of the day has a mix of meadow hay (several different brands) and timothy hay in the litter trays, as well as timothy chop, high fibre grass chop and occasionally something like Readigrass/JustGrass. It's not possible to monitor his complete intake as he lives with 2 other bunnies now, but I see him eating often enough throughout the day to not be worried, and as he's a very keen eater I can tell when his molars need sorting out as his appetite decreases and he tends to sulk. He does have regular checkups at the vet though, just to see how his teeth are doing.
As I said, he's always been on the small side, even when he had ad lib pellets when I first got him. However, the last few weeks he seems to be thinner than usual. I took him in to have his teeth checked as I'm a very paranoid mummy, but the vet said they look fine (actually she's always really impressed by the way I get my animals better so quickly..probably because I put them before myself! They eat and live better than I do! :lol:). I will be taking him and Squishy for their routine molar checkups soon so if there's a problem then I can get that sorted, but from what the vet said just before Christmas I have no reason to worry, plus he's still eating fine.
I occasionally supplement with oats/Weetabix, and he could quite happily eat pellets all day, but having his molar problems I don't want to fill him up with food like that and have him decrease the amount of hay he eats, and thus have a bad effect on the wear of his molars.
I know he gets his fair share of pellets as I give the buns 3 seperate bowls and guide them to one each, they've learnt to eat straight away or they'll go without! He's also a right pig, definately wouldn't let the others pinch his rations!
Would giving more Readigrass help him put on some weight? Obviously there's the issue of the other buns, they're at an ideal weight and one of them being a mini rex means I don't want him putting on weight and aggravating his hocks. Bit of an odd question but is grass high in calories? Mary goes mad for it when he's out in the run, so if that would help then I will try to get him out more often, but being so cold and having foxes around here I have been hesitant to let the buns out for long periods. Or perhaps increasing his pellet intake but putting him out on the grass would mean he'd be more likely to eat the fibrous grass even though he's eaten more pellets.
I was just wondering the best plan of action to put some weight on him but keep his teeth in the best possible condition.

Edited to add: I just remembered, he had a slightly upset tummy the other day. However, I had fed all the buns veg the evening before, and as I've been ill/working more days than usual, they haven't had any in a while, so I put it down to overeating veg - he's such a greedy bun that I wouldn't put it past him to scoff down almost all of the 3 buns' share of veg himself! A day with hay only and probiotics in the water sorted him out and he was back to his normal self the next day. Not sure if this would be linked to the weight loss, but I will mention it to the vet.

well grass in winter isn't high in calories - it's almost dead - It gets more calorific in spring but it's very rich so you have to watch with upset tums again

I would guess Mary's upset tum was too much veg all of a sudden if he's a greedy guts like you say - It's possible he needs worming although usually they look bloated with worms?

If you want him to put on weight then give him a spoonful of extra pellets a day - they are very calorific and it shouldn't stop him eating hay - Benny has put on weight with just an extra spoon of pellets and a tsp of porridge oats, soaked, every day - and he's burning off calories keeping warm outside on his own (which is why I upped his rations)

keeping warm burns calories, so extra time on the grass at the moment won't really help Mary.

Carrots are high in calories, so if you can't manage to do loads of veg every day, just give them a couple of inches of carrot each - not too much as it's sweet enough to upset the good/bad bacteria in their tums if they have a lot...and of course a couple of inches of carrot a day will make them sooooooo happy :D

Back