• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reasons a rabbit wont or cant eat hay

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
As ive said before i cant get alfie to eat hay,well my friend works at a vets she bought me a sample of timmy hay yesterday,i put some in for alfie,he started pulling at the hay wth his mouth then scraching it with his feet,he looked like he was trying to eat it but it was falling out of his mouth,he has had a dental so his teeth are ok,he just looked like he was trying to eat the hay but he couldnt,why could this be? anything to do with his absess?

My bunny has his front teeth trimmed monthly and has had his side ones worked on a few times too. My vet looks at me like I'm mad whenever I say I don't think he can eat hay anymore, but tonight he picked up the first bit of hay he's wanted to try and eat in over two years and was trying his best for a good few minutes to eat it, but just couldn't manage it. He was sucking it up like they do okay and his mouth was going from side to side, but it looked like he wasn't able to chew it enough to properly eat it, then he gave up. So, I do think that some bunnies with teeth problems just can't eat it, its not because they don't want to, my one will eat a few strands of fresh grass however and I think that might be because its softer than hay.

My bunny has his front teeth trimmed monthly and has had his side ones worked on a few times too. My vet looks at me like I'm mad whenever I say I don't think he can eat hay anymore, but tonight he picked up the first bit of hay he's wanted to try and eat in over two years and was trying his best for a good few minutes to eat it, but just couldn't manage it. He was sucking it up like they do okay and his mouth was going from side to side, but it looked like he wasn't able to chew it enough to properly eat it, then he gave up. So, I do think that some bunnies with teeth problems just can't eat it, its not because they don't want to, my one will eat a few strands of fresh grass however and I think that might be because its softer than hay.

Don't just put the hay on the dish bowl, physically hold them near the mouth. That way, as any rabbit loves to bite, eventhough your rabbit really won't eat them, it will still take down their teeth size regularly, and hopefully, as time progress, they'll eat the hay. Oh...make sure it is the stem, not the leaves.

My last rabbit never eat hay, I suspect it may be because he start eating green when he is much less than 6 mth. old.

Also, Give different type of hay, see how he react.

Give him apple slice, puncture the apple slice w/ the stem of the hay, then cut it after you insert about 2 - 3 mm, in other words, when done, your apple slice looks like a big spike. Then rub Seed head on the surface of the apple slice. That way, you hope he will pickup some when he eats the apple.

He wanted to eat the hay he was getting very fustrated that he couldnt,i just cant understand why he cant unless because of where the absess is it hurts to much when he is trying to chew it?

poor bunny :( Can he eat it if you chop it up very tiny or would that just stick in his throat? What about soaking the hay first? Soaking chopped up small hay? Put the hay in a food processor with a bit of water? Must be very annoying for him, and you - I'm sorry I don't know much about teeth probs.

I tried chopping it up yesterday,i thought he had eaten it as it had gone out of his bowl,but he had just dug it out!
He wont eat grass either

does he manage his pellets OK? If they are high fibre he should be fine with extra pellets and broad leafy veg like greens - they wear the teeth too a bit. Some rabbits live perfectly well without hay - although I can't remember who on this forum said theirs had never eaten any :?

Yes he manages perfectly well he has s/s pellets
its just the vet said if he doesnt eat hay he will keep having to have dentals,although he is 3 years old and that was the first dental he had, had and they said his teeth were not too bad but did have spurs on them

Maybe u could video him trying to eat the hay on your phone(if u have one) or alternatively take hay with u to the vet(if your bun is a chilled bun who will eat anywhere) and show the vet the video/him struggling, then maybe he will investigate this a bit further, ie have a good look at how the teeth are sitting at his next dental under anaesthetic, coz if the upper & lower teeth are so out of sync, it could be impossible for your bun to grind as the teeth may never reach each other! if thats the case then there's nothing u can do but at least the vet will believe u and u know for sure why he can't eat the hay.just a thought :?

He had his teeth looked at again on wed,but the vet never said anything other than they look ok at the min,he gets stressed at the vets and deffo wouldnt eat there.
but the vet did say if he doesnt eat hay he will end up having another dental in the future

does he eat grass? That's just as good if you can find a good supply of the longer stuff - not as good in winter but probs better than nothing?

can't help much as to why he doesn't eat hay, does he eat greens? one of mine has never eaten hay, grass and hardly any greens. as a last resort i've taken to liquidising her veg every day to make sure she's getting something fresh - she loves it :roll:

it's not ideal i know (and a bit of a pain :oops: ) but better than nothing. she's got very poor teeth and when she tried to eat greens it all got mangled up and i think she gave up

i think that the way the vets trim the teeth is not quite right. I have a bunny that needs dentals every month and i am sure she CAN'T eat hay. She tries and she just cant.

cheekyMonkey said:
i think that the way the vets trim the teeth is not quite right. I have a bunny that needs dentals every month and i am sure she CAN'T eat hay. She tries and she just cant.
Its quite upsetting to see though isnt it? has she ever eaten hay?

I am sure Rowan can't either. I have seen him sort of mouth at a piece of hay a few times, but he can't chew it - I assumed this was because it hurt, but maybe it is a functional thing. He won't even try greens either, even sliced up thinly, or grated carrot. But he was biting at the dog crate this morning - obviously that didn't hurt :? And he makes faces when he eats his soggy pellets and grated apple, as if bits are getting stuck in his teeth :? His chin is always plastered in pellet mush too :? This applies even when he is having metacam after a dental. Poor lad :cry:

Back