• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
I just cut Smirnoffs nails for the first time yesterday (he was done at the vet's previously). He's a lionhead, how long should they be? I didn't take too much off cos I was scared I'd hurt him. Plus he kept biting the clippers.
I've checked all my other bunnies (guilt- Smirnoff's were a bit long :oops: ). The only other that looks kinda long is Chocolate my Rex.But aren't Rex's supposed to be longer? Also she's a dark colour so I can't see the vein thing.

Can someone put a picture up of the perfect length? Also, Smirnoff hasn't been to the vets since his jabs in October, so should I get his teeth checked seen as how his nails had grown so much? He's eating as normal - though he only likes excel pellets, hay, carrots & those crackerbread things.

ooh you are brave - I'm trying to pluck up courage to do Tia's but I think it will be a job for my vets :roll:

They are supposed to be hidden by the fur on their feet - if they stick out of that they are too long - but obviously some rabbits have longer fur than others, so your rex will look like he has long nails even if they are fine.

It's best to just clip a bit off every month than have to do loads off every 6 months - if you are starting out with them long then clip a little off every week and the blood supply will recede back as the nail shortens.

If they are eating fine their teeth are probably fine :)

please be careful not to cut them too short cause that it really painful for them.

Some nails are easiir to do than others - if the nail is quite clear then you can see where the blood vessels stop (the nail will look cloudier here) so cut a few mm past that point.

However if you can't see this then only cut a tiny amount off.

lol Pam

Yep its really difficult with dark nails particularly - Zac's are almost jet black so it has to be a two man operation with someone shining a torch light so you can clearly see where the best place to snip is :!: - but as Pam said - take just the slightest bit off if your in any doubt - as a Bunny will sure remember a bad nail experience you can bet :roll: :roll: :wink:

i trimmed chocos this week and only took a bit off them but hers are dark also. she didnt seem to mind but i hated doing it. i do the cats weekly but hers made me nervous :?

caz

I'm always scared about taking too much off so my rabbits prob have slightly longer nails that is the correct length. Having said that the only one who ever needs her nails trimming is Niamh, I never have to touch the other bunnies they seem to wear theirs down!!! Think I might have to tackle Treacle's soon though if he doesn't get more active which will be a nightmare! :shock:

Okay,
I hate cutting rabbit claws. Piggy claws on the other hand - i am an expert.

I haven't had to trim Bindis or Mayas. Bindi wears hers down herself. Maya on the other hand are black.

I got a silver nitrate pen (Quick stop) from the vets, when i thought i would have trouble with one of my female piggies. Turns out she doesn't mind having them done, at all. You can also used unperfumed soap or bicarbonate of soda if you do catch their quicks (veins in nails).

I had to do Dylans last week as he hasnt worn them down as much as usual. It was hard!!! Hes a big lad esp lying on his back on my knees. I did it under a really bright lamp in the kitchen to try to see the blood vessels. Also i either use my cuticle cutters (they have better nails than me nowadays) or the dogs guiloteen ones. I would get help with a handy person with a pocket torch or go for a really bright light air on the side of caution and do a bit at a time. Dyls are now quite a lot shorter than his fur whereas silkys are easy as shes grey but longer than her fur as shes a rex so its not a size thing!

I managed my first bunny pedicure a couple of months ago. I erred on the side of caution so they may well have been left longer than I could have cut them but Marlon was surprisingly patient with me.
He doesn't particularly like being held but after a couple of false starts in restraining him we both did really well.
I think I might get my Mum round to help next time though, we're a two woman team when it comes to clipping my cockatiel's nails so we may as well join forces for the buns too.

Thanks everyone!

I've taken a bit more of Smirnoff's, but I'm going to leave them for a week or so then check them again. He was really good both times, & laid on his back with his feet in the air.

My rex however, took one look at the clippers & started struggling - so I'm taking her to the Vets after New Year!

Back