• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

watery eyes

gizmo

Mama Doe
casper has got watery eyes and not sure why. his eyes look a little red and all the fur around his eyes is wet. does anyone have any ideas.

It could be a blocked tear duct. Bumble had the same thing last week where his eye was watering and the vet flushed his tear duct out and we're going back tonight for another flush. We've also had drops to put in his eye all week.
Otherwise it could be worth checking his teeth to see if they're growing okay?

I always immediately think TEETH as soon as I see watery eyes.

However you saying they are red makes me think it's something else, so mebbe it is blocked tear ducts, or an eye infection? :?

Caramel's was a bit of shaving or hay or something in her eye. I noticed it on a Saturday night & rang the vet for advice straight away. She said to wipe it with a cloth in warm water & take her to the vets on Sunday if it didn't improve over night. She was fine the next day.

Alfie's eyes are sometimes a bit watery. I got him from Jill (honeybunny) & she warned me about them. They have been fine for the last couple of weeks though.

Buffs has reocurrent probs with her eyes - last time we felt sure it was teeth problems as she stopped eating her hay too which pointed so obviously to teeth - but after a dose of antibiotic eye cream and loooads of TLC she was much brighter - arn't bunsters just the biggest challenge - you think your dealin with one thing and it turns out to be another - I just know Goldfish are going to be on the Agenda for my next pet project :lol: :lol:

Hope your bunster gets on o.k :wink:

Could be this: http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/vet-talk/eyes.html

or this: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-8/eye-problems.html

or any of these:

EXCESSIVE EYE SECRETIONS (“RUNNY EYE”)

Causes:

Dental disease upper incisors can cause partial blockage of the lacrimal (tear) duct)
Environmental pollution (perfume, hair spray, paint or cooking fumes, dust)
Disease of the cornea (tears produced due to pain)
Entropion (turning in of the eye lid leading to eye irritation)
Distichiasis (eyelashes growing abnormally towards the cornea leading to irritation)
Third eyelid disease (inflammation, foreign body, abscess)
Inflammation of the conjunctiva (tissues around the eye)
Inflammatory disease of the lacrimal (tear) duct
Foreign body obstruction of the lacrimal (tear) duct

Signs:

Staining and wetness of fur at the corner of the eye
May be accompanied by any or none of the following: squinting, conjunctival redness, swelling in the vicinity of the eye, thick mucous discharge

Diagnosis:

Physical examination and history
Thorough eye exam with local anesthetic and magnification as needed
Tear duct flush with possible culture
X-rays of the head with possible dye study of the tear duct

Treatment: (based on diagnosis)

Clean up environment
Correct abnormalities to the eye
Treat inflammatory disease
Treat dental disease
Topical medications in eye +/- systemic medications

Your rabbit needs to be seen by a vet, and quickly too before it gets worse.

Back